Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Aug 09 at 18:28 PM

Report: Hull City 1 Bolton 0

A second-half goal from Kamel Ghilas proved enough to earn Hull City a 1-0 win over Bolton at the KC Stadium.

The Algerian struck the winner on 61 minutes, firing past Jussi Jaaskelainen from 10 yards out.

From start to finish the contest was littered with chances in a match that could easily have finished in Wanderers favour had they endured more luck in the final third.

The effort and commitment was present from Gary Megson's side was but they just couldn't find a way past some inspired goalkeeping from Boaz Myhill.

A ferocious atmosphere greeted the two sets of the teams. Three quarters of the sun-soaked ground was decorated in orange and black shirts, while behind Jussi Jaaskelainen's goal a sea of white with the 1,500 supporters from Bolton that had made the journey to Humberside.

Gary Megson made one change from his team following the opening day. In came Mark Davies for Gavin McCann with Gretar Steinsson returning to the squad as a substitute after recovering from illness.

Within two minutes, Bolton had a glorious chance to open the scoring through Johan Elmander. The Sweden international latched onto a slide-rule pass from Fabrice Muamba, and having broke the offside trap, fired a shot across goal from a tight angle which fizzed a couple of inches past the far post. Sean Davis had been well poised for a possible cut-back but from that position, Elmander was justified to try his luck.

It proved to be a bright start by the Trotters as along with Elmander, Kevin Davies was heavily involved, winning his fair share of headers against the centre-half combination of Michael Turner and Anthony Gardner.

The Tigers first sight on goal came through a snap shot from the edge of the box by Kamel Ghilas, the right-back replacement for Sam Ricketts. Jussi Jaaskelainen comfortably held the Algerian's attempt, but he wasn't called into action just two minutes later when Stephen Hunt blazed over from 30 yards.

Sean Davis was the first player to have his name taken by referee Mr Jones for late challenge on Ghilas, but apart from the foul it had been a bright start from the former Portsmouth midfielder, who had peppered the Hull penalty area with a series of free-kicks and crosses. One particular set-piece on 25 minutes caused all sorts of problems for the hosts' defence as a fumble from Myhill resulted in the ball bouncing free with no Bolton players able to capitalise.

Hull's Brazilian midfielder Geovanni had endured a quiet first half an hour, but he reminded Wanderers of his capabilities with a thunderous effort from distance on 30 minutes. The number ten drifted in from the left-wing and fired goalwards, forcing Jaaskelainen into another full-length save.

This attack pressed Wanderers into a response, and a swift break involving Muamba and Elmander ten minutes before half-time saw Kevin Davies shoot fractionally wide. The Whites, however were to come even closer in their next attack.

Mark Davies was hacked down following a marauding run forward, and from the resulting free-kick, Matt Taylor forced Myhill into a terrific low save. The Hull stopper could only parry the ball away and just as it looked like Kevin Davies was about to chip a cross into the far post, Myhill recovered to palm the ball away from the danger area.

In stoppage time, the Wanderers skipper again drifted in unmarked at the far post following a Davis free-kick, but he couldn't divert his close-range attempt inside the post, much to the relief of the home supporters.

As with the first half, it was another dominant start by Gary Megson's side in the second period as the Whites came out and instantly took the game to their opponents.

A minute after the restart and Matt Taylor's inswinging corner was missed by a whole host of attackers as chaos ensued in the penalty area, and then just five minutes later another set-piece delivery from the wide-man flicked Kevin Davies' head and agonisingly floated a foot wide of the post.

Taylor had a shot clutched by Myhill and Mark Davies headed goalwards as Bolton pressed to break the deadlock and Tigers' boss Phil Brown responded to the one-way traffic by replacing Caleb Folan with Joze Altidore on 60 minutes.

The American had an instant impact as within 30 seconds, Hull took a one-goal lead against the run of play. The big striker flicked forward Olofinjana's header and Ghilas was in the right place to fire past Jaaskelainen from ten yards out.

Bolton forced a series of corners as they immediately sensed an equaliser, all of which were well defended by the home team. Myhill's goal was under siege, however a precise counter-attack almost resulted in Hull doubling their lead.

Geovanni's accurate ball over Wanderers' defence landed perfectly in the path of Altidore, who took a touch before guiding the ball goalwards. The Hull fans were off their feet in anticipation of their team's second, but after floating a chipped finish over Jaaskelainen's head, the ball bounced just wide of the post.

Lee Chung-Yong was thrown into the action with 20 minutes remaining as the contest began to swing from end-to-end. Ghilas rattled the crossbar with a close-range shot and Altidore was denied excellently by Jaaskelainen, who raced from his line to block the substitute's turn-and-shot.

With just five minutes remaining Wanderers were denied a clear cut penalty when Gary Cahill was scythed down inside the penalty area, but somehow referee Jones missed the incident. Hull City were hanging on at this point and had reason for more concern when Muamba unleashed a rocket that flew just over the bar.

Just as the fourth official indicated four minutes of stoppage time, Myhill produced his finest save of the afternoon to firstly repel a Ricketts shot from outside the area before regaining his feet to thwart Chung-Yong who attacked the rebound.

It was to prove the last action of the afternoon as Wanderers headed home from Humberside feeling very unfortunate not to have taken maximum points.

Hull City: Myhill, Dawson, Turner, Gardner, Geovanni (Boateng 81), Hunt, Kilbane, Folan (Altidore 60), Ghilas (Fagan 86), Zayette, Olofinjana, (Subs not used: Barmby, Halmosi, Mouyokolo, Warner, Fagan)

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Robinson (Samuel 78), Knight, Cahill, Ricketts, Davis, Mark Davies (Ward 81), Taylor, Muamba, Kevin Davies, Elmander (Chung-Yong 70). (Subs not used: Al Habsi, Steinsson, Samuel, McCann, Shittu).

    Latest Match Reports