Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Dec 09 at 23:31 PM

Report: Bolton 3 West Ham 1

Wanderers netted three goals for the second time in as many days as another great team performance was rewarded with a well deserved victory against West Ham United.

Chung-Yong Lee, Ivan Klasnic and Gary Cahill all struck in the second half to nail the Hammers to their seventh straight defeat at the Reebok Stadium.

Alessandro Diamanti had equalised but
Bolton's efforts throughout the 90 minutes were merited with the decisive two late strikes.

With the fine performance against Manchester City 72 hours prior still fresh in the mind, Gary Megson rewarded his players by naming the same starting line-up. Ivan Klasnic shrugged off a hip injury to take his place alongside Kevin Davies following his two-goal salvo against the Citizens.

Again it was another fast energetic start by the Whites and they came within a whisker of putting themselves a goal to the good inside the first minute.

Davies seized the ball 30 yards from goal and having neatly turned inside on his left foot, the captain drilled in a low attempt from outside the area. Rob Green looked on helplessly as the ball flicked up off Danny Gabbidon and flew just wide of West Ham's right-hand post.

West Ham's defence certainly had to be on their guard in the early stages as
Bolton undoubtedly bossed the first 15 minutes. Tomkins positioned himself well to intercept Davies's intended pass for Klasnic and a five-man wall took the sting out of a goal-bound Matt Taylor free-kick.

Both of Wanderers front-two found themselves in referee Andre Marriner's notebook on the 18 minute mark following a heated exchange between both sets of players inside the West Ham penalty area. Davies was shown the yellow card for an innocuous looking challenge on Robert Green while Klasnic's involvement in the aftermath also earned the Croatian a booking.

Against Manchester City Paul Robinson marked his return to the team with a helping hand in Wanderers' third goal, and the former
West Brom defender's forward runs were proving to be a source of much of Bolton's attack play. The most notable instance was when the left-back's inswinging centre was met by Gary Cahill's glanced header which was guided wide of the far post.

In general, the first quarter of the game was played a relaxed pace, but in the last 20 minutes, Wanderers began to move through the gears.

Fabrice Muamba's deflected drive skimmed the post,
Taylor's crisp volley was slightly too high, Zat Knight headed over and Tamir Cohen's stretched attempt was just off target.

And five minutes before the interval, Wanderers strung together the move of the half. Davies expertly dummied Chung-Yong's ball into midfield, and Klasnic captured possession before lashing in a long-range thunderbolt which flew inches wide of the woodwork.

After asking so many questions of the visitor's defence, Wanderers could consider themselves unlucky not to be taking a lead into the half-time break.

More of the same followed at the start of the second half as twice inside the space of a minute Knight's height caused problems for the Hammers' rearguard. The centre-half towered to nod into the path of Cohen and from the resulting corner, he could not quite direct his header inside the near post.

Defensively, the former Aston Villa man was also looking strong as he twice excelled when called upon to make necessary tackles on Guilermo Franco.

The 55th minute of the game was particularly eventful as both goalkeepers were required to keep the game scoreless. Green did well to parry a stinging Cahill shot while straight up the other end, Scott Parker's break from midfield was foiled by an excellent reflex save by Jaaskelainen - the Finn's first real contribution of the evening.

Then on 64 minutes, the goal that Wanderers' efforts had deserved eventually arrived - and what a goal it was!

Chung-Yong Lee was the scorer, notching his third of the season after playing a fantastic one-two with Klasnic. The South Korean continued a mazy dribble and collected the return pass before calmly slotting the ball past West Ham's
England international goalkeeper.

But the lead was to last just four minutes as Gianfranco Zola's side struck back with another well worked goal.

Italian striker Alessandro Diamanti was the finisher, drilling into the roof of net with a first-time effort after the ball had been laid into his path by Franco.

Ricardo Gardner was thrust into the action with 15 minutes remaining and although the Jamaican didn't play a part in his side's second goal of the evening, his introduction was a catalyst in Wanderers regaining the lead.

Klasnic's four goals this season had already highlighted the predatory threat that he possesses, and that attribute was reinforced further when the marksman was alert to capitalise on Green's error. The West Ham stopper fumbled a deflected shot from Cahill, and once again Klasnic was on his toes to bundle the rebound over the line and send the Reebok into raptures.

A lightweight Steinsson back-pass provided a slight scare, but the three points were assured when Cahill scored for the second game in succession in the 90th minute.

Whereas the 23-year-old's strike against
ManchesterCity was that of a seasoned striker, Cahill's fifth of the season was one more associated with a central defender as he rose to head in Gardner's corner at the far post.

It completed another fantastic performance from Gary Megson's troops as they head into a local derby against
Wigan with an extremely encouraging 180 minutes of football under their belts.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Cahill, Knight, Robinson, Chung-Yong, Muamba, Cohen, Taylor (Gardner 75), Klasnic (Basham 80), Kevin Davies (Subsnot used: Al Habsi, Ricketts, O'Brien, Samuel, Elmander)

West Ham: Green, Dyer (Stanislas 22), Parker, Franco, Kovac, Faubert, Ilunga, Tomkins, Collison (Da Costa 87), Diamanti, Gabbidon (Subs not used: Spector, Nouble, Kurucz, Daprella, Payne)

    Latest Match Reports