Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Dec 09 at 15:58 PM

Report: Burnley 1 Bolton 1

Wanderers and Burnley played out an entertaining 1-1 draw in the Boxing Day Lancashire derby at Turf Moor.

Matt Taylor's expertly taken free-kick on 29 minutes gave Bolton a 1-0 lead going into half time.

But David Nugent's headed goal after the break meant spoils were shared in the first top-flight meeting between the two clubs since 1964.

With Fabrice Muamba suspended and Gavin McCann still injured, Chris Basham stepped up to fill the midfield void in the only change to the team from the victory over West Ham United.

Wanderers were backed by 2,400 travelling supporters, who helped create a loud and forceful atmosphere during the early stages of the game. But out on the pitch, possession was rather scrappy and it took until the tenth minute before anything of note took place - a close range Steven Fletcher volley that was scooped high over the bar.

Bolton's first shot of the afternoon came from a well worked effort by Basham, who picked up a half-cleared Matt Taylor corner before firing in a 30 yard stinger that Brian Jensen did well to hold.

Gary Cahill was making his first return to Turf Moor since his loan spell in 2005, and the defender was involved in the first half's big talking point on 18 minutes. The home supporters howled for a penalty when David Nugent took a tumble inside the area but replays suggested that there had been little or no contact, which Chris Foy had also deemed.

Kevin Davies curled wide and Cohen tested Jensen again with a long-range effort as Bolton began to offer more in attack as the half progressed. However Gary Megson's men were fortunate not to find themselves behind when Fletcher again failed to hit the target from just five yards out midway through the first period.

Zat Knight had been caught in possession by Nugent and when the on-loan Pompey striker unselfishly squared, Fletcher prodded wide under pressure from the on-rushing Jaaskelainen.

It was a miss that Burnley were made to rue as six minutes later, Matt Taylor put Wanderers one goal to the good with a splendid free-kick.

When Davies was fouled 25 yards from goal by Andre Bikey, Taylor stepped up to bend a delicious shot over the wall and around the outstretched dive of Jensen to notch his fourth goal of the season. It sparked scenes of jubilation in the away end as Taylor celebrated his strike by running the full length of the pitch to rejoice in front of the Whites' travelling contingent.

As the old adage goes, goals change games and Taylor's strike seemed to give Wanderers a firm grip on the contest for the remainder of the half.

And on the stroke of half-time, a well worked move involving Davies and Taylor resulted in Klasnic bringing another good and necessary save out of Jensen.

As expected, Burnley came out after half-time looking seeking a means of getting themselves back into the contest. Wanderers had to weather an early period of possession which included a thunderous Kevin McDonald effort that ricocheted back off Jaaskelainen's crossbar. And, for the third time in the game, Fletcher blazed off-target when unmarked inside the penalty box.

Bolton too hit the woodwork with another neat intricate move, sandwiched in between the two Burnley efforts. Chung-Yong stood a cross up for Davies, who headed down into the path of Taylor, but his scuffed shot clipped the post and went wide.

Burnley's equaliser arrived on 56 minutes. It was David Nugent who found space inside the six yard box to convert Wade Elliott's right winged cross with his head.

Cahill and Basham had to make vital last-ditch tackles while Chris Eagles whipped a shot over the bar as Burnley gained some momentum after levelling the scores.

Mark Davies was introduced midway through the half in place of Klasnic as Gary Megson opted to change proceedings in midfield. Ricardo Gardner was also introduced as a like-for-like replacement for Chung-Yong Lee.

Jaaskelainen had been kept relatively quiet for the first 70 minutes, but the Finnish international was alert to make two significant saves in quick succession. Firstly Jaaskelainen reacted to block an Eagles attempt before diving to his left to deny Nugent from scoring his second goal of the game.

But Wanderers still looked very dangerous when going forward with most notable chances including a left-footed volley from Cahill and a sliding Cohen attempt from a very acute angle.

Nugent's run-and-shot was fractionally wide as was Mark Davies's with just five minutes of the contest remaining, but despite the best efforts of both teams, no further goals were added in an lively second half and both Owen Coyle and Gary Megson had to settle for a point a piece.

Jensen, Jordan, Bikey, Duff, Mears, Elliott, Alexander, McDonald, Eagles, Fletcher (Blake 80), Nugent (Subs not used: Penny, Kalvenes, Gudjonsson, Edgar, Thompson, Guerrero)

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Knight, Cahill, Robinson, Chung-Yong (Gardner 73), Basham, Cohen, Taylor, Klasnic (Mark Davies 67), Kevin Davies (Subs not used: Al-Habsi, Ricketts, O'Brien, Samuel, Elmander)

    Latest Match Reports