Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 02 Jan 10 at 17:53 PM

Report: Bolton 4 Lincoln 0

Wanderers booked their place in the fourth round of the FA Cup with a professional performance against resilient Lincoln.

Four second half goals were enough to see off the men from Sincil Bank after the Whites had been forced to wait 49 minutes before breaking the deadlock.

An own goal by defender by Moses Swaibu set Bolton on their way before Chung Yong Lee notched his fourth goal of the season just moments later.

Deputising goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi made an important save from Chris Herd to keep a clean sheet in only his second outing of the campaign.

And further strikes from Gary Cahill and Mark Davies in the last five minutes wrapped up a comfortable win for the interim management team.

Steve Wigley's team selection highlighted Wanderers' ambitions in the FA Cup as the Assistant Manager named a strong starting line-up, which consisted of just three changes from the draw with Hull City.

The visitors, backed by almost 2,000 supporters, started the game well and caused Bolton's defence to be on their guard with a couple of early crosses that were comfortably dealt with.

But an off-target shot from outside the box by Chung-Yong Lee on 12 minutes prompted Wanderers to up their game and the hosts began to take control of the first half from then on in. Indeed, Ali Al Habsi, who was taking the place of the rested Jussi Jaaskelainen, had virtually nothing to do for the entire first half.

Gary Cahill had a scuffed attempt blocked while Klasnic's goalscoring run almost continued when the striker fired in a fizzing shot with his trusty left foot that beat Imps keeper Rob Burch but was marginally wide of the post.

Chung-Yong Lee was Wanderers' main source of energy down the right wing and was at the heart of almost every attack during the first 45 minutes, while Klasnic wasn't afraid to try his luck whenever the ball landed at his feet.

Even Andy O'Brien advanced forward from defence to have a shot at goal, but as with the vast majority of attempts, it was wide of the mark leaving Burch trouble free.

Ten minutes before the half-time whistle, Lincoln had their first sight on goal, but Chris Herd's long-range effort was easily saved by Al Habsi.

Steve Wigley opted to make one change at the interval, adding more creativity to Bolton's midfield by introducing Mark Davies for Fabrice Muamba.

The substitution had an immediate impact as Bolton broke the deadlock just four minutes after the restart - albeit in fortunate circumstances. Matt Taylor's precise and powerful cross was missed at the near post by Klasnic, however the ball was diverted into the Lincoln goal by unlucky defender Moses Swaibu.

And the lead was doubled just two minutes later through Chung-Yong Lee. Again it came via a move down the left touchline with Klasnic dribbling into a packed penalty area before laying the ball across goal for the unmarked Korean, who blasted high into the net from 10 yards out.

Wanderers had killed-off the tie in a matter of minutes and with a trip to the Emirates Stadium as the next immediate priority in the Premier League, Klasnic was withdrawn from the action on the hour mark.

The lead was nearly extended to three goals on 65 minutes in a sensational passage of play that culminated in Matt Taylor striking the crossbar from the edge of the box. Lincoln keeper Burch had advanced from his goal and been caught out firstly by Kevin Davies' shimmy and shot, which was blocked by a retreating Imps defender. And as the rebound landed at Taylor's feet, he took his time before side-footing goalwards, with the ball striking the woodwork and unfortunately bouncing out on the wrong side of the goal line.

Despite Wanderers' firm stranglehold on the game, Lincoln did enjoy a short period of possession deep into the second half, and they were only an Ali Al Habsi save away from halving the deficit.

The Omani international showed why he is held in such a high regard at the Reebok with a world-class parry to thwart Herd for the second time with just under a quarter of the game left. The midfielder's shot clipped O'Brien on its way through to goal and Al Habsi adjusted himself fantastically to push the ball away to safety.

Substitute Elmander flicked a close-range effort over the bar before Bolton's passage into the fourth round was complete when Gary Cahill rose to head in Kevin Davies' cross five minutes from time.

The goal rounded off a satisfying afternoon for the 24-year-old, who had also put in another sound defensive shift to help his team record just the second clean sheet of the season.

And with almost the last kick of the game, Mark Davies prodded home his second goal in Wanderers colours following an inviting cross by fellow substitute Tamir Cohen.

Bolton: Al Habsi, Steinsson, O'Brien, Cahill, Robinson, Chung-Yong (Cohen 80), Gardner, Kevin Davies, Taylor, Muamba (Mark Davies 46), Klasnic (Elmander 58) (Subs not used: Bogdan, Knight, Samuel, Ricketts)

Lincoln: Burch, Green, Swaibu, Kerr, Lewis (Uwezu 58), Watts, Hughton, Saunders, Herd, Gilmore, Anderson (Subs not used: Musselwhite, Kovac, Hone, Fagan, Heath, Clarke)

    Latest Match Reports