Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 21 Feb 10 at 14:13 PM

Report: Blackburn 3 Bolton 0

Bolton succumbed to a 3-0 defeat against neighbours Blackburn at a snowy Ewood Park.

Nikola Kalinic put his side into a half-time lead before Jason Roberts and Gael Givet struck after the interval.

Bolton matched their opponents for almost the entire first half but it was Sam Allardyce's side that grabbed the crucial first goal four minutes before the break.

And as Wanderers looked to fight-back in the second period, Rovers capitalised to wrap up the points with two close range finishes.

Owen Coyle kept faith with the same starting eleven that kept a clean sheet at the DW Stadium, with Ivan Klasnic returning from a calf strain to occupy a spot on the bench.

Rovers thought that they had taken the lead inside the first five minutes when a Morten Gamst Pedersen throw deep inside
Bolton territory evaded everyone and looped directly into the net.

Nearly every
Blackburn fan was off their seat when Chris Foy pointed towards the halfway line, but the referee had in fact blown for a goal-kick because the ball hadn't received a touch from anybody on its route to goal.

And just minutes later it was a similar scenario for the travelling
Bolton support when they were up cheering when Johan Elmander prodded past Paul Robinson. Chris Foy had deemed there to be an earlier foul by Matt Taylor on Michel Salgado and the strike was chalked off.

Muamba side-footed over after good work from Ricardo Gardner before the midfielder was called into defensive duties, clearing from his own goal-line in a scramble that also saw Nikola Kalinic strike the outside of the post on 22 minutes.

An under-hit backpass by Zat Knight caused Jaaskelainen to race from his goal and clear to safety while a Pedersen free-kick from 25 yards curled just wide of the upright.

Sam Allardyce was forced to make a change in defence as Ryan Nelsen limped from the field just before the break, but Rovers disappointment of losing their captain was forgotten about when Kalinic gave the hosts the lead on 41 minutes.

A long ball forward was nodded down by Diouf and Kalinic fired past Jaaskelainen from just inside the area to give
Blackburn a 1-0 advantage at the interval.

Although it could have been different if Matt Taylor had managed to find a way past
Blackburn keeper Paul Robinson with a fierce half-volley just seconds before the deadlock was broken.

There were no substitutions made by either manager at the break, but there was a change in personnel in the middle as referee Chris Foy, who picked up an injury in the first-half, was replaced by fourth official Lee Probert.

Wanderers came out after the break in the ascendancy and it took a brave smother from Robinson to thwart
Gardner, who had galloped through the Blackburn defence.

But after five minutes under pressure, Rovers nearly doubled their lead when Hoilett stooped to meet an inch perfect cross from Pedersen. But Jaaskelainen came to the rescue, making an instinctive diving save to parry the ball around the post.

It was becoming a tale of two goalkeepers as Robinson responded by making a smart save to push away a Chung-Yong effort as Wanderers.

Owen Coyle made an attack-minded double substitution on the hour mark as Vladimir Weiss and Mark Davies came on to replace Matt Taylor and Fabrice Muamba

And as the snow fell heavily at Ewood, Ivan Klasnic was also brought on and within minutes of his introduction, he tested Robinson with a free-kick from distance.

Jaaskelainen made another fine parry to thwart an Nzonzi header but in the next attack, substitute Jason Roberts doubled Rovers' lead with 74 minutes on the clock.

Gael Givet hooked a half-cleared corner into the box and Roberts took his time before slotting into the back of the net.

It was a frustrating blow for Wanderers who had shown signs of getting themselves back into the contest since the introduction of the three substitutes.

Kevin Davies clipped an effort just wide of the post before
Blackburn made the game beyond Wanderers when Gael Givet headed in his team's third goal of the afternoon.

Diouf curled an inviting ball into the area from out on the left touchline and the French defender snuck in to meet the cross and nod past Jaaskelainen with the help of the far post.

Ivan Klasnic drove an effort into the arms of Robinson as Wanderers responded but they couldn't find any way past
Blackburn's resilient defence.

Blackburn: Robinson, Givet, Nelsen (Grella 38), Pedersen, Nzonzi, Andrews, Diouf, Olsson, Kalinic, Hoilett, Salgado (Subs: Brown, Dunn, Roberts, Reid, Di Santo, Chimbonda)

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Ricketts, Knight, Robinson, Chung-Yong, Muamba (Mark Davies 60), Gardner, Taylor (Weiss 60), Kevin Davies, Elmander (Klasnic 67) (Subs: Al Habsi, Mark Davies, Cohen, Wilshere)

    Latest Match Reports