Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 29 Jan 12 at 16:04 PM

Report: Wanderers 2 Swansea 1

Wanderers chalked-up their third successive victory by beating Swansea City 2-1, and in doing so advanced through to the fifth round of the FA Cup.

After falling behind to a Luke Moore goal on 43 minutes, Bolton came from behind to win the tie, firstly equalising when Darren Pratley scored against his former club with a close-range header deep into first half stoppage time.

Chris Eagles effectively proved to be the match-winner on 55 minutes when he pivoted inside the six-yard box to find the corner of the net after goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel had fumbled Martin Petrov's cross.

Pratley headed against the crossbar and Leroy Lita cannoned an effort against the post in an entertaining second half.

But Wanderers did more than enough to win the tie and deservedly booked their place in the last-16 of the competition for the third time in as many seasons.

Owen Coyle made just three changes to the team named against Liverpool, whereas his counterpart Brendan Rodgers made the decision to more or less freshen up his entire side by bringing in ten new faces.

Two former Swans were named in the Bolton team, and one of them was Sam Ricketts, who had the first opening of the game.

The full-back, playing against his former employers for the first time since leaving the club in 2006, ventured forward for a free-kick and his glancing header was turned around the post for a corner by Gerhard Tremmel.

Half-chances were the story of the first half as Wanderers showed plenty of endeavour, but just couldn't muster the clear-cut chance to break the deadlock and find a way past the visitors' German goalkeeper.

Both Mark Davies and Martin Petrov saw long-range efforts saved by the Swansea goalkeeper, who also did well to make a hand to a David Wheater header.

Mark Davies came close to netting his third of the season with a shot from the edge of the area which was well-saved by Tremmel, while Chris Eagles capitalised on a poor goal-kick, only to slice his shot well wide.

But perhaps Tremmel's best contribution in the first half was when he spread himself in front of David Ngog, who had escaped the offside trap down the inside right channel.

The game well and truly came to life in the final five minutes of the first half as Swansea broke the deadlock against the run of play.

After patient play from the visitors, former Aston Villa frontman Luke Moore managed to brush aside an attempted challenge from David Wheater before elegantly lifting the ball over Adam Bogdan, who had the task of picking the ball from his net after having precious little to do in the previous 43 minutes.

But credit to Wanderers as the Whites came fighting back with an instant response through Darren Pratley's close-range equaliser in added on time.

Wanderers had looked dangerous all afternoon from crosses into the box, and it was the midfielder who got his head onto a Petrov free-kick to score his first goal since moving from the Liberty Stadium during the summer.

Pratley could afford a little smile but there was to be no wild celebration against the club he had represented for five years.

Wanderers started the second half as they ended the first and they managed to nudge themselves in front through Eagles ten minutes after the restart.

It all stemmed from a free-flowing move as Nigel Reo-Coker worked the ball out to the left, where Petrov fired in a cross-shot from the touchline. Tremmel fumbled and Eagles picked up the pieces, calmly converting from six yards out.

The frantic pace of the game continued, and the visitors were just a post width away from levelling as Leroy Lita smashed an effort from a tight angle against the frame of the goal.

With a strike in the bag already, Darren Pratley looked to add more to his tally, and he too was denied by the woodwork when a looping far post header struck the underside of the post.

And just a moment later, the midfielder showed great anticipation to seize on a poor back-pass from Ashley Richard, but his side-footed finish was wide of the mark by the narrowest of margins.

As the minutes ticked by, the game became more and more open in typical cup fashion.

Riley fired into the side-netting from 25 yards out, while Reo-Coker brought a good save from Tremmel from a similar position.

Bolton were a threat every time they ventured forward, but Brendan Rodgers signalled his intent to stay in the competition by introducing recognised first team attackers Danny Graham and Nathan Dyer.

Centre-halves Garry Monk and Ashley Williams headed over from corners, and Graham stabbed against the post late on as Swansea fought to the final whistle.

However, Bogdan wasn't to be breached for a second time and everyone connected with Wanderers can now look forward to the fifth round draw.

Bolton: Bogdan, Riley, Wheater, Boyata, Ricketts, Eagles (Tuncay 90), Reo-Coker, Mark Davies, Pratley (Muamba 80), Petrov, Ngog (Kevin Davies 74) (Subs not used: Jaaskelainen, Robinson, O'Halloran, Mears)

Swansea: Tremmel, Williams, Routledge (Dyer 65), Monk, McEachran, Lita (Graham 65), Moore, Bessong, Agustien, Gower (Allen 79), Richards (Subs not used: Moreira, Tate, Rangel, Sigurdsson)

    Latest Match Reports