Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 18 Feb 12 at 18:11 PM

Report: Millwall 0 Bolton 2

Wanderers are now just 90 minutes away from a return trip to Wembley after brushing aside Millwall at The Den.

Bolton ran out convincing winners in South-East London, with goals in each half from Ryo Miyaichi and David Ngog booking the club's place in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup for the second successive season.

In what was a professional performance from the first kick to the last, Owen Coyle's side bossed the game from the third minute when the impressive Ryo put Bolton ahead with his first goal in professional football.

And after a bright showing from the hosts at the start of the second half, Ngog effectively put the tie to bed just before the hour mark with a fierce left-foot effort from the edge of the box.

Aside from the overall team display, an added bonus for Bolton boss Coyle was the form of debutant Tim Ream, who slotted into defence excellently in what was his first competitive fixture in over three months.

Millwall 0 Bolton 2

Responding to the loss at Wigan the previous Saturday, Owen Coyle made four changes to his starting line-up, which included a full debut for January recruit Tim Ream.

Another new boy Ryo Miyaichi was given his first start, and the Japanese winger wasted no time in making the most of the opportunity as he put Wanderers ahead with just three minutes on the clock.

When Bolton earned a free-kick on halfway, Sam Ricketts spotted Ryo's run behind the Millwall defence on the far side. The on loan winger outpaced right-back Alan Dunne and, from an acute angle, beat Lions goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall with a precise curling effort, placed into the top corner of the net.

The goal gave Wanderers an early foothold in the tie, and the lead could easily have been extended inside the first quarter of an hour as the Whites carved out several more decent opportunities.

The recalled Fabrice Muamba fired narrowly over the target having latched onto a slide-rule pass from David Ngog, while Mark Davies lost his footing at the worst possible time, just as he was about to pull the trigger 12 yards from goal.

It took a while for Millwall to recover from Bolton's blistering start, but once they did, the hosts earned a succession of corners and exerted real pressure throughout the 20 minutes prior to the interval.

Talisman Darius Henderson was leading the line in typically robust fashion, and it was the former Watford man who came the closest to getting Millwall back on level terms with a skidding effort from the edge of the box that was well-saved by Adam Bogdan midway through the first period.

Generally, though, Bolton looked defensively solid throughout the opening 45 minutes, with David Wheater and Ream impressing in their first half of football together as a centre-half partnership.

There was, however, a scare seconds before referee Kevin Friend blew his whistle as Gretar Steinsson came within a yard of scoring an own goal when he sliced over his own crossbar following Liam Feeney's cross from the right wing.

Millwall came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half. Captain Paul Robinson glanced a free header just wide of the far post from a corner, Bogdan punched a Liam Trotter shot clear and Scott Barron's long-range attempt flashed wide of the upright.

However, Bolton weathered the storm and hit Millwall with a sucker-punch when Ngog bagged his third goal of the season to put the Whites 2-0 up on 58 minutes.

Picking the ball up 25 yards from goal, the Frenchman pivoted before smashing a powerful shot into the bottom corner of the net. Mildenhall, diving to his left, got his fingertips to the ball but it wasn't enough to prevent Ngog from getting the goal that his hardworking performance deserved.

As the rain began to pour down and the pitch cut up, Kenny Jackett threw on Josh Wright and Hamer Bouazza to inject fresh impetus into his team. But they were met by a resistant Wanderers side, determined not to undo the hard work that had put them into a two-goal advantage.

This was typified by Ricketts, who threw himself in front of Andy Keogh with 15 minutes left, preventing the former Wolves man from having a simple tap-in at the far post.

Up the other end of the pitch, the Welshman could have sealed the tie for Wanderers in the latter stages having surged forward, only to see his left-foot shot from the edge of the area skid past the far post.

In all fairness, while Millwall did offer a good account of themselves in the second half, Bolton always had the tie in control.

The final whistle was greeted with loud cheers from the 1,100-strong travelling support, who now eagerly await the draw for the quarter-finals of the competition.

Millwall: Mildenhall, Dunne, Robinson, Trotter, Henderson, Feeney (Bouazza 72), Barron, Keogh, Smith (Wright 57), Lowry, Kane (Henry 80) (Subs not used: Forde, Craig, N'Guessan, Mason)

Bogdan, Steinsson, Ream, Wheater, Ricketts, Reo-Coker, Muamba, Mark Davies (Pratley 84), Tuncay, Ryo (Eagles 78), Ngog (Subs not used: Jaaskelainen, Boyata, Robinson, Knight, Klasnic)

    Latest Match Reports