Joint venture between Burnden Leisure and Bolton Arena given green light following Bolton Planning Committee
Burnden Leisure Ltd is pleased to announce that the Middlebrook Masterplan was granted outline planning consent, subject to completion of a S106 Legal Agreement with the Council, at Bolton Planning Committee on Thursday.
The Masterplan has been worked up jointly with Bolton Arena and sets out a flexible and co-ordinated framework for further investment and development in both sports facilities over the next few years, with an end value of around £100million.
The mutual business target for both Burnden and the Arena is continuing financial self-reliance and long-term sustainability, maximising development opportunities and community benefits through a combined approach.
The principle elements of the Masterplan include:
- A major new sports hall as part of the Arena
- Improvements and upgrades to the Arena outside pitches and other facilities
- A new Free School building
- An extension and re-modelling of the Stadium’s West Stand main entrance and administration areas
- A free-standing ‘Grand Arc’ development to the north of the Stadium comprising residential, apart-hotel, retail, restaurant/leisure and office uses
- Associated transport network improvements and additional car parking
The first phase of development is likely to be a new Bolton Wanderers Free School
building for around 400 students. The Education Funding Agency is in talks to secure the appropriate site and has set a target date for occupation of Easter 2016.
The Free School is due to open in September this year with 200 students in short-term accommodation within the stadium itself. A detailed planning application for the new Free School building will be submitted over the next couple of months.
Burnden Leisure Ltd and the Arena Trust appreciate the support and hard work put in by Bolton Council in the refinement of the Middlebrook Masterplan, and its constructive guidance on mitigation measures to protect the long-term amenity of the local community.