Report: Bolton Wanderers 3-2 Newcastle United U21s

Bolton Wanderers came back from two goals down to defeat Newcastle United under 21s in their final game of this season’s Papa John’s Trophy.

Goals from Magpies captain Elliot Anderson had put the vistors two-up but strikes from Jak Hickman, Arthur Gnahoua and Jamie Mascoll gave Ian Evatt’s men their second victory on the spin.

The Wanderers head coach made 11 changes from the side that beat Salford City on Friday evening.

George Taft captained the Wanderers with Lloyd Isgrove and Shaun Miller making their first starts for the club.

Wanderers looked comfortable during the early stages, passing the ball around quickly but it was the visitors who had the first effort when captain Elliot Anderson lost his marker before firing high and wide over Billy Crellin’s cross bar.

Wanderers won a free-kick in a decent area when Achraf Lazaar felled Brandon Comley. Ronan Darcy’s excellent delivery was met by the head of Taft but it came off a Magpies defender for a corner.

The hosts earned another set-piece moments later when Reiss Greenidge was upended. Darcy’s effort was well hit but narrowly went over the bar.

Anderson netted the opener after 11 minutes when he fired in from a narrow angle after Comley lost possession just outside his own penalty area.

Hickman flashed wide from distance after a good counter attack from Wanderers saw Miller lay off the ball from Isgrove’s pass.

Anderson grabbed his second goal five minutes before the break when he chipped the ball over Crellin from distance.

Wanderers pulled a goal back just before the break when Hickman side footed home after connecting with Isgrove’s left sided centre. 

Early in the second half, as United looked to increase their lead, Crellin made a solid stop from Yannick Toure to keep them at bay.

Wanderers got an equaliser with just over twenty minutes remaining through substitute Arthur Gnuahoua. The striker who had earlier replaced White picked up a loose ball to stab home after the Newcastle defence failed to clear Isgrove’s whipped in free-kick.

With five minutes to go, Mascoll fired home to give Wanderers the comeback victory after Gordon’s cross was initially headed into the post by Greenidge.


Bolton Wanderers: Crellin, Gordon, Taft (C), Comley, Hickman, White (Gnahoua 64), Mascoll, Greenidge, Darcy, Miller (Henry 73), (Thomason 73), Isgrove

Subs Not Used: Alexander,, Senior, Riley, Assarsson.


Newcastle United Under 21s: Langley, Swailes, Francillette, Cross, Lazaar, Rounsfell, Brookwell, Anderson (Longelo 81), Flaherty (Indelacio 89), Vilca, Toure.

Subs Not Used: Brown (GK), Oliver.

Read Time: 2 mins