Match Report : 24/11/2012

Report: Brighton 1-1 Wanderers

David Ngog scored with the last kick of the game at Brighton to snatch a point and extend Wanderers’ unbeaten run to five under new boss Dougie Freedman.

The Frenchman’s late equaliser cancelled out Bruno’s 54th-minute strike.

Adam Bogdan’s performance was also worthy of note, as the Hungarian produced a string of top drawer saves, one of which came from Ashley Barnes’ first-half penalty, to help keep the Trotters in the game.

Freedman made four changes from last weekend’s 1-1 draw with Barnsley, as Kevin Davies, Jacob Butterfield, Jay Spearing and Sam Ricketts all moved to the bench.  Darren Pratley, Benik Afobe, Tim Ream and Tyrone Mears were all recalled to the starting line-up.

The home side started the game on the front foot, as both Liam Bridcutt and Craig Mackail-Smith went close before referee Mark Haywood awarded the home side a fortuitous 13th-minute penalty.

Mackail-Smith’s drilled ball across the box cannoned into Pratley’s arm from point-blank range, but Bogdan would superbly repel Barnes’ effort from the spot before reacting well to clear a follow-up effort from the Brighton striker.

The Hungarian stopper was quickly called into action soon after. He produced a breathtaking diving save to tip Dean Hammond’s long-range effort onto the bar after Andrea Orlandi had also hit a post with a curling effort.

Wanderers quickly regrouped. Eagles’ 25-yard strike was well-saved by Brighton stopper Tomasz Kuszczak.

The Bolton number seven then weaved his way into the penalty area before putting a teasing ball across the six-yard box that eluded everyone in its path.

The Seagulls quickly responded as Mackail-Smith headed an Orlandi cross onto the bar and Matt Mills was on hand to clear the pursuing goalmouth scramble.

Bolton’s best chance of the half came just before the break. Good play involving Eagles and Mears saw the former feed Ngog, but his shot on the turn was blocked as the referee called time on an eventful first half.

Eagles involved once again after the restart, seeing a stinging drive from 30 yards fizz wide of Kuszczak’s post before Ngog’s effort from 18 yards was blocked by a ruck of blue and white striped shirts.

There was an air of controversy surrounding the opening goal of the game that arrived in the 53rd minute. The referee allowed play to continue despite Marcos Painter seemingly handling the ball inside his own half. Brighton broke and eventually won a free-kick on the edge of the Bolton area, which was only half-cleared to Bruno, whose 25-yard effort found its way into the top corner.

Brighton almost found a second five minutes later, but they were once again denied by the heroics of Bogdan who scrambled across to block Orlandi.

Freedman introduced Jacob Butterfield and Kevin Davies, with both seeming to have an immediate impact. First, Eagles shot narrowly wide before Butterfield saw a curling effort go inches over.

Kevin Davies had a penalty appeal waved away as the game entered its final throes, but with the last kick of the game Ngog popped up with the leveller.

Eagles was the provider, bursting beyond a couple of Brighton markers to the left byline before centering for the Frenchman who side-footed an effort in-off the far post, much to the dismay of the home fans.

Wanderers:Bogdan, Mears, Mills, Knight, Warnock, Ream (Spearing 78), M Davies, Afobe (Butterfield 60), Pratley (K Davies 60), Eagles, Ngog (Unused Subs: Lynch, Andrews, Ricketts , Chung-Yong)

Kuszczak, Bruno, Greer, Hammond, Dunk, Barnes (Crofts 77), Orlandi, Mackail-Smith (Hoskins 88), Painter (Calderon 81), Bridcutt, Buckley (Unused subs: Brezovan, Hoskins, Dobbie, Dicker, Lopez)

Read Time: 3 mins