Hull City match preview

Report: Wanderers 4-1 Hull City

Bolton Wanderers made it back-to-back wins at home with an emphatic 4-1 win over promotion chasing Hull City at the Reebok Stadium.

Freedman’s side caused the majority of the damage inside the opening eight minutes, racing into a three goal lead courtesy of goals from Darren Pratley, Mark Davies and Craig Dawson.

Hull pulled a goal back midway through the second half through Robbie Brady’s free-kick, however Bolton made sure of the points three minutes later as Dawson grabbed his second of the afternoon and his third in the last two games.

Wanderers are now unbeaten in their last four Championship encounters and continue their climb up the table.

Manager Freedman welcomed Spaniard Marcos Alonso back into the starting eleven for the clash against the Tigers, replacing fellow full back Tyrone Mears in three changes for the Whites.

The two other alterations saw Mark Davies come in for Chris Eagles and Marvin Sordell swap places with Craig Davies in attack.

Visitors Hull, who headed into the game sitting second in the Championship, named an unchanged line up following Tuesday night’s 2-0 win over Blackburn Rovers at the KC Stadium.

The hosts raced out of the traps at the Reebok and made the perfect start by taking the lead inside the opening 90 seconds after a free flowing attack which was finished off by midfielder Pratley.

Working the ball well in midfield, Jay Spearing and South Korean Chung-Yong Lee linked up with the latter rifling a cross from the left flank into the penalty box for Pratley to connect with a diving header, his first of the campaign.

Brimming with confidence after the early opener, Bolton stunned Steve Bruce’s men with a second after only five minutes had passed on referee Andy Haines’ watch.

A cutting pass by Wanderers’ number 16 Mark Davies found the feet of team mate David Ngog inside the Hull penalty area.

Quickly closed down by three Hull defenders, the visitors seemed to clip the striker, however Haines waved away Bolton’s shout for a penalty and play continued with a tame clearance by Jack Hobbs handing possession straight back to Mark Davies on the edge of the penalty box.

Taking the ball under control, Mark Davies hit a low strike on his second touch which nestled in the bottom right hand corner past the arm goalkeeper David Stockdale.

Bolton’s whirlwind start to the game continued with a third in the eighth minute as loan defender Dawson grabbed his second in as many games.

Set piece specialist Spearing, who assisted Dawson for his goal at Derby County last Tuesday, delivered an in-swinging corner from the right for Dawson to flick the ball past the former Fulham custodian at the front post.

There were shouts that Hull cleared the ball off the line, however Marvin Sordell extinguished the uncertainty by following up to fire in the rebound, but the goal was already correctly awarded to Dawson.  

Shell-shocked after conceding three goals in the opening ten minutes, Hull had their first attack on Adam Bodgan’s goal in the 18th minute.

Winning a free-kick in the far right hand corner, Irish man Brady whipped a dangerous cross into the box and taking no risks Bolton’s number one palmed the ball onto the bar.

Deflecting into the path of Hull captain Robert Koren but the Tigers number ten couldn’t keep his attempt on target and fired the ball over the bar and into the North Stand.

Wanderers continued to attack well in numbers looking for goal number four and came agonisingly close when Marvin Sordell clipped the outside of the post.

The move began when Spearing sprayed possession out wide to full back Sam Ricketts, the Welshman continued to move the ball forward playing a pass down the line for Ngog.

Cleverly beating his marker, the Frenchman drove a low cross into strike partner Sordell who quickly reacted to side foot first time against Stockdale’s post and out for a goal kick.

Bolton finished the half strong with Hull not causing Bogden any concern leaving the Wanderers faithful pleased at the half time whistle.

The second half began with Bolton starting how they left off, with the game’s opening goal scorer Pratley having the first chance of the 45; however this time he couldn’t find the target and sent an ambitious 25-yard shot over the bar.

Hull, looking for a way back into the game, should have done better when Alex Bruce, son of Tigers boss Steve, escaped his marker from a floating Brady free-kick but failed to hit the target.

Freedman made his first change of the afternoon in the 57th minute, Craig Davies coming on in place of Sordell.

A double change for Hull City followed three minutes later, skipper Koren and Egyptian Gedo replaced by recent acquisition George Boyd and former Arsenal trainee Jay Simpson.

Defender Dawson became the first Bolton player to enter the referee’s book with a strong challenge on substitute Simpson.

With just over 22 minutes to play the Tigers handed themselves a lifeline when 21-year old Brady powered a free-kick 20-yards from goal past Bogdan who was left rooted to the spot.

Bolton hit back immediately and their positive response to conceding will have pleased manager Freedman.

Handing possession away cheaply in their own half, Ngog capitalised and advanced with possession towards Stockdale’s goal.

Showing great energy, Pratley made a bursting run from midfield and was played through by Wanderers’ number nine only to be denied his second by Stockdale.

Wanderers’ fourth did come two minutes later as they regained their three goal cushion at the Reebok over the Yorkshire outfit in a thrilling contest as Dawson’s snatched his second.

Midfield dynamo Mark Davies was again heavily involved, shooting again from a considerable distance, his effort took a heavy deflection off Dawson’s boot which wrong footed Stockdale.

To round off a superb afternoon for Bolton, Medo Kamara came on for his debut in place of Ngog and defender David Wheater was introduced for Mark Davies to make his first senior appearance of the season after injury.

The hosts comfortably saw out the final minutes at the Reebok Stadium to seal all three points and can now look towards Tuesday night’s game against Peterborough.

Bolton: Bodgan, Ricketts, Knight, Dawson, Alonso, Spearing, Pratley, Lee, M Davies (Wheater 88), Sordell (C Davies 57), Ngog (Kamara 75). Subs: Lonergan, K Davies, Eagles, De Ridder.

Hull City: Stockdale, Chester, Hobbs, Evans, Koren (Boyd 60), Gedo (Simpson 60), Elhmohamady, Bruce, Quinn, Brady, Meyler (Cairney 82) Subs: Jakupovic, Rosenior, Simpson, Fathi, Proschwitz, Boyd.

Attendance: 17,655

Read Time: 6 mins