Ipswich Town match preview

Report: Ipswich 1-0 Wanderers

Carlos Edwards scored the match winning goal five minutes from time to seal a 1-0 win for Ipswich Town at Portman Road.

In a game with very few chances created, Edwards scored Ipswich’s goal after his initial shot was blocked by the Wanderers defence. The result means Wanderers unbeaten run of eight games comes to an end and the focus will be towards Charlton Athletic in a fortnight.  

The travelling Whites made one change from last weekend’s win over Brighton, Craig Davies stepping in for Kevin Davies.

Hungarian international Adam Bogdan was named on the substitutes bench for Wanderers after missing the last two games through injury.

Hosts Ipswich made three alterations from their last outing at Peterborough, experienced trio Daryl Murphy, Richard Stearman and skipper Carlos Edwards all returning to the starting line-up.

Dougie Freedman’s men started the game in Suffolk with a 4-4-2 formation, South Korean international Chung-Yong Lee and Chris Eagles operating on the wings for Wanderers.

Town captain Edwards thought he handed his team the lead in the 14th minute, meeting a cross from the left hand side from Aaron Cresswell, Edwards hit the wrong side of the far post from two-yards out.

Mick McCarthy’s side came even closer to an opener two minutes later but were denied by the superb reactions of Bolton custodian Andy Lonergan.

David McGoldrick, on loan from Nottingham Forest, burst down the right hand side to deliver a cross for the incoming run of Andy Drury, however Lonergan was quick down to deny Town’s number 17 from point blank range.

Wanderers’ first sight on Stephen Henderson’s goal came just before the 20 minute mark, Eagles finding room on the edge of the Ipswich penalty box, having a touch to take the ball from underneath his feet the midfielder hit a rasping drive towards goal which cruised over.

The Tractor Boys were looking dangerous on the attack and went forward in numbers as Bolton looked to get a foothold in the game at Portman Road.

Referee Stuart Attwell blew the half time whistle with Wanderers in search of their rhythm ahead of the second half.

After an encouraging start to the second half, the visitors nearly gifted Town a goal in the 50th minute when a misplaced pass by Zat Knight was picked up by Daryl Murphy but the striker fired high over Lonergan’s bar.

Freedman’s side were looking brighter in the opposition area compared to the first half with the 566 supporters from the North West making all the noise at Portman Road.

Just before the hour mark, Wanderers’ number seven Eagles had his second effort on goal, collecting a short cross from Marcos Alonso, on the turn he looked for goal but couldn’t get any direction on his effort.

In the 65th minute, Bolton made their first change, Craig Davies replaced by Kevin Davies with the club captain’s aim to break the deadlock.

The game soon turned into a midfield battle, with both teams looking to get on the front foot for the final stages.

In the 85th minute, Town hit Wanderers with a blow as former Sunderland winger Edwards hit the back of the net.

The goal came after a low cross from the left hand side which was collected inside the penalty box by Edwards, having his first shot blocked, the midfielder had a second chance and put the beyond Lonergan into the far corner.

Freedman immediately responded to the goal and Marvin Sordell was introduced in place of centre half Craig Dawson.

However, Town could have made it two when Murphy raced through on goal only to be denied by another fine save from Lonergan.

The full time whistle blew with Wanderers’ winning run in the Championship halted by Town in Suffolk with the next game in two weeks time at Charlton Athletic. 

Read Time: 4 mins