U18s: Bolton 2-0 Everton

Youngsters pick up second consecutive league win with victory over their Everton counterparts

Bolton’s Under 18s continued their winning start to 2014 in style by beating Everton 2-0 at home on Saturday afternoon.

The Whites came out of the blocks immediately. Carl Kennedy trying his luck from distance only to be denied by the Everton goalkeeper Russell Griffiths.

This continued for the opening quarter with good pressure led by frontman Jamie Thomas, with shots coming from himself in open play and a free kick, then a nicely teed half volley from left back Tyler Garratt who was unfortunate after his dipping shot was down the middle of the Everton goal.

The Toffees finally woke up when Tyrone Duffus tested the Bolton backline with a mazy ran but the forward's shot was deflected and the tempo was back with the home side.

Garratt was instrumental again soon after, causing problems down Everton's right hand side and whipping a couple of ferocious balls across the face of the goal which unfortunately couldn't be reached by his advancing team mates.

Once more after Everton's back line soaked up the pressure however they hit the Whites on the counter with Arlon Birch teeing up Harry Charsley who was denied by an exceptional point blank save from the Whites man between the sticks.

This was the start of a good period for the visitors as Charsley once more with the wind in his sails had a deflected shot which was first saved then hit the post moments later.

Five minutes from the interval and Bolton captain Sam Bailey made a last ditch tackle just as Duffus was about to finish having been teed up by winger Kieran Dowell.

The best chance of the half came on the stroke of half time, Walker producing gasps from the Lostock crowd after beating Griffiths but not the post.

Wanderers started the second half in similar fashion and after Thomas seeing his shot go over the bar, a minute later the Whites were no longer ruing that missed opportunity as the same man unleashed a effort which was saved by Griffiths but palmed straight into Elliott Newby's path who on his toes was first to react and put the home side one up.

Thomas, a thorn in Everton’s side throughout, saw his battling qualities and perseverance pay off for when Walker beat a handful of men and unselfishly set up the forward for a simple finish to doubled Bolton's lead.

The visitors did not create much after this, Charsley trying his luck from distance with ten minutes remaining only leaving Campbell to watch the ball breeze past his post.

Thomas could have had a brace shortly after as he beat the offside trap following full back Bailey's through ball but couldn't beat Griffiths with the goal at his mercy.

David Lee and Tony Kelly's side defended well to the end as they did throughout, with George Newell's swivel shot and Birch's header going wide being the last of the opportunities in stoppage time for the team from Merseyside.

Unbeaten in 2014 and with confidence high for the youngsters, they are next in action against Manchester United at home a week on Tuesday.

Bolton: Campbell, Bailey (C), Garrat, Greenhaugh, Honeyball, Kennedy, Newby, Cvetko, Abbotts, Thomas (Torres), Walker (Hinchcliffe).
Everton: Griffiths, Birch, Robinson (Connoly), Graham, Thorniley, Shannon (C) (Walsh), Donohue (Edge), Charsley, Newell, Duffus, Dowell
Read Time: 3 mins