Report: Chorley 2-1 Bolton Wanderers XI

Youngsters suffer narrow defeat in annual meeting with the Victory Park outfit


Bolton Wanderers XI were defeated 2-1 by Chorley in the annual Harold Taylor Memorial Trophy clash between the two clubs.

Following a blistering start from Wanderers, the Whites proceeded to open the scoring in the 20th minute with a well-taken lobbed effort over former Bolton goalkeeper Sam Ashton in the Chorley goal – his third in as many games for Bolton Wanderers XI.

The hosts were back on level terms shortly after the restart however as Harry Winter's long range shot eluded Ross Fitzsimons in the Bolton goal and completed the comeback with just ten minutes left to regain the trophy as Tom Smyth poked the ball home through a crowded penalty area.


Wanderers started brightly with Zach Clough’s curling free-kick forcing Sam Ashton into a smart save with just three minutes on the clock.

The hosts were visibly stunned by the Whites’ early pressure, and Clough was again in the thick of the action with 11 minutes gone as following a quick give-and-go with fellow frontman Wilkinson, the striker somehow managed to put the ball over with the goal at his mercy.

Having weathered the storm somewhat, Chorley rallied and enjoyed a spell of possession of their own, but it was brought to an end as one of their players received treatment for an injury.

Following the restart to proceedings, Chris Lester slipped his marker before laying the ball off for the advancing Wilkinson, but his effort was blocked by a Chorley body.

Not to be denied however, Wilkinson finally had his goal with 20 minutes gone as he chased the ball downfield before expertly lofting it over the advancing Ashton to hand Wanderers the lead.

The home side almost hit back with an equaliser just a few minutes later as James Dean found himself with space in the area to turn his marker, but Ross Fitzsimons got down low to deny him.

With half an hour gone, Dean attempted to fool the Bolton keeper with a shot from distance, but his low driven effort flew well wide of the far post.

Having enjoyed opportunities, the confidence was visibly growing amongst the Chorley side as they peppered the Whites’ goal with attempts, but Wanderers stood firm and soaked up the pressure.

With eight minutes of the half remaining the home side looked set to pull themselves level as Tom Cottrell unleashed a ferocious long range effort that seemed destined for the top corner, but Fitzsimons was on his guard to tip the ball over the crossbar and preserve Wanderers’ advantage.

As the clock ran down to half time, both sides enjoyed chances on the counter attack but their efforts were to prove fruitless as Bolton headed into the break a goal to the good.


As the second period got underway, it was to be the hosts who enjoyed the first shot at goal with the half only three minutes old, but Josh Hine’s tame effort was easily collected by Fitzsimons.

Up the other end of the field, a second for Wilkinson looked imminent as Georg Iliev pulled the ball back into his path, but the frontman was unable to get any real power or direction on his shot and it trickled wide of the upright.

Wilkinson was denied from a similar position just moments later, but Wanderers were left to rue spurned chances shortly after as Chorley found themselves back in the clash in the 52nd minute courtesy of a looping effort from the edge of the box by Harry Winter.

With the scores level, Chorley appeared reinvigorated and were left calling for a penalty kick with 64 minutes gone as Dean went down in the area, only to see the referee wave away their claims.

Jack Dorney looked set to hand the Magpies the lead just a minute later as he collected Chris Almond’s cross-goal pass, but the striker somehow put the ball over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

Tom Walker, a first half substitute for Wanderers, stunned the Chorley defence with a powerful run down the left flank with 20 minutes to go, but the forward’s cross ultimately eluded a Bolton body.

With time of the essence and a winner seemingly imminent, the home side proceeded to take the lead with just ten minutes remaining as Smyth somehow poked the ball home through a crowd of bodies in the Bolton area to the delight of the home faithful.

Determined not to be defeated, Wanderers pushed inside the closing stages for an equalising goal with both Tom Youngs and Hayden White producing impressive runs, only to see their efforts fall short as Chorley ran out winners.


BWFC XI: Fitzsimons, White, Obileye, Taylor (Holding 84), Sellers, Hughes, Woodland, Lester (Walker 37), Clough, Iliev, Wilkinson (Youngs 67)
Subs not used: Campbell, Ball, Bastos

Chorley: Ashton, Ross (Jacobs 59), Dodd (Roscoe 78), Teague, Smyth, Cottrell, Hine (Almond 59), Whitham (Lynch 46), Dean (Stephenson 67), Winter (Bailey 78), Dorney
Subs not used: Esdaile, Jansen, Grundy

Read Time: 5 mins