U21s: Bolton 0-0 Brighton

The young Whites extended their unbeaten run to four matches after claiming a third successive draw


Bolton Wanderers under-21s extended their unbeaten to four matches as they clinched a third successive draw after their clash with Brighton & Hove Albion ended in stalemate.

The young Whites controlled the encounter but struggled to find a breakthrough against the division’s basement club.

Bolton’s best chances fell to Zach Clough, who missed two good opportunities inside the opening three minutes, while substitute Kaiyne Woolery headed wide late on when well-placed as the Trotters were left frustrated in their efforts to open the scoring.


David Wheater once again started for the Whites as he continued his comeback from injury.

There were also places in the starting XI for Tom Eaves, Medo and Rob Hall, while Sanmi Odelusi was again named on the bench.


Wanderers started the game brightly and should have opened the scoring inside the first five minutes as Zach Clough twice missed from close-range.

The forward first put wide with the goal gaping after being picked out inside the six-yard box by Niall Maher, before later seeing a header clip the top of the crossbar from the next attack moments later.

At the other end Sham Fenelon had Brighton’s first shot of the night, shooting wildly off-target from distance.

Tom Eaves and Rob Hall both missed good opportunities just short of the half-hour mark as Clough pulled the ball back to the former. 

However, the forward failed to connect when trying a first-time shot, before Hall saw an effort deflected wide after the resulting ball fell kindly to him in the area, having cut in on his weaker foot.

Having been played in by Medo, Eaves came close again after powering into the area shortly afterwards, however, with goalkeeper Harry Doherty rushing off his line, he was unable to get his shot away.

Ross Fitzsimons got down well to keep out a first time George Cole effort on the stroke of half-time in what was a rare Brighton shot on target, as the sides went in at the break with the scores goalless.


Continuing to push forward after the interval, Medo had the Whites first shot on goal of the second half as he curled a 25-yard free-kick narrowly over the bar.

At the other end Brighton were unfortunate not to take the lead on the hour-mark as substitute Charlie Harris rattled the inside of the post with a fierce half-volley after being left free at the far post.

Looking to take advantage of their aerial dominance, Bolton started to flood the Brighton box with crosses but struggled to test Doherty in goal as they failed to hit the target when they did connect.

Tom Eaves, Quade Taylor and David Wheater all saw headers drift wide or blocked as time began to run out for the Trotters to find a winner.

Sanmi Odelusi and Kaiyne Woolery joined the action as Wanderers stepped up their efforts to claim three points, with the latter almost snatching the win late on after being picked out by Hall.

Having seen the winger beat his man out on the right, the substitute rose highest to connect with Hall’s cross at the near post but failed to hit the target when unmarked.

And despite the Whites’ best efforts, they failed to make a late breakthrough against Brighton as they were forced to settle for a share of the points.



Bolton: Fitzsimons, Maher, Sellers, Taylor, Wheater, Medo, Lester (Odelusi 70), Campbell-Young, Eaves, Clough (Woolery 81), Hall.

Unused subs: Perry, Jaaskelainen, Finney.

Brighton: Doherty, Barry, Hunt, Toko, Dallison-Lisbon, Barclay, Fenelon, Starkey, Kandi (Muitt 84), Agustien (Harris 51), Cole.

Unused subs: Smith, Wiltshire, Deen.
Read Time: 3 mins