Match Report : 01/10/2014

Report: Fulham 4-0 Bolton


Bolton’s second midweek trip to the capital in the space of a week ended in defeat, with Fulham running out winners at Craven Cottage.

The hosts scored two goals either side of the interval - Hugo Rodallega, Fernando Amorebieta, Lasse Vigen Christensen and Tim Hoogland all on target. 

Darren Pratley came closest for Wanderers, with his first-half volley clipping the woodwork with the score at 1-0, on what was ultimately a frustrating evening. 


Bolton made five changes to the starting team that had previously taken to the field against Derby.

The most notable change saw Tim Ream shifted into a central midfield role, with Darren Pratley deployed in the hole behind lone striker Craig Davies.


The home side started with a real purpose and had the ball in the net after just three minutes.

McCormack smuggled the ball in at the back post after Andrew Lonergan had repelled Bryan Ruiz’s sweet, first-time volley, only for an offside flag to cut short the home side’s celebrations.

But minutes later Fulham’s early pressure told.

Matt Mills lost his footing when attempting to clear McCormack’s clipped pass, allowing Rodallega time and space in the area in which he controlled and finished into the bottom corner.  

The busy figure of Konstantinos Stafylidis then saw Lonergan superbly tip a low, skidding drive from 25 yards onto the base of the post, as the hosts sensed a second.

Wanderers steadied the ship and carved out their opening chance of the contest on 25 minutes.

Liam Feeney sent a looping cross to the back post, with Pratley’s side-footed volley kissing the face of the crossbar.

Bolton continued to grow into the game, though the next flurry of action came on the stroke of half time.

Bryan Ruiz curled a shot wide of the far post before Neil Danns skewed a low pull-back from Feeney high and wide of Marcus Bettinelli’s goal.

Just as it seemed Bolton had seen out the half the home side doubled their advantage.

A routine free-kick on the right flank was flighted in by Ruiz, with Venezuelan Amorebieta rising on the penalty spot to nod in the home side’s second of the evening.


Five minutes into the second period the manager made a triple substitution, with Mark Davies, Jermaine Beckford and Joe Mason all entering the action.

Bolton upped the ante and for the proceeding period much of the play was in the Fulham half for large periods. Despite the best endeavours of the men in blue, any clear-cut chances were seemingly at a premium.

And as Bolton committed men forward Fulham extended their lead on the break.

Ruiz sent Rodallega clear in the right channel, who then pulled the ball back for the onrushing Christensen to convert from just inside the area.

Bolton continued to huff and puff, and Beckford fired wide after some quick thinking from Dean Moxey and Feeney down the left flank.

But, with the wind in their sails, Fulham added a fourth on 78 minutes.

Following a quick free-kick full-back Hoogland fired a low drive from the edge of the area into Lonergan’s net.

Read Time: 3 mins