U21s: Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Bolton

George Newell scores brace as young Whites win last league game of 2015/16 season

George Newell struck twice from the penalty spot as Bolton Wanderers Under-21s beat Sheffield Wednesday in their final Professional Development League 2 game of the season on Monday.

The forward twice beat Owls goalkeeper Cameron Dawson in the first half as the young Whites quickly took control at the hosts' Middlewood Training Ground.

And despite missing further chances to extend their lead, Bolton clinched a comfortable win ahead of next week's Manchester FA Senior Cup semi-final against Manchester City.

Captain Alex Finney, Jamie Thomas and Tom Walker all started for Wanderers' youngsters having been unused substitutes for the first team against Cardiff City on Saturday.

Alex Samizadeh partnered George Newell in attack, while Alex Honeyball was given the nod at left-back following Niall Maher and Tyler Garratt's involvement with the first team.

Wanderers started brightly and looked to test Cameron Dawson early on as George Newell and Alex Samizadeh both forced saves from the Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper inside the opening ten minutes.

In control of proceedings, the young Whites were gifted a chance to take the lead midway through the half after George Newell was impeded in the box following a corner.

The forward picked himself up to take the spot-kick and made no mistake, confidently powering home straight down the middle of the goal to fire Bolton ahead.

And he could have had a second moments later after running onto Jamie Thomas' lay-off, only to see his first-time effort from the edge of the box skim the top of the crossbar.

Harry Campbell was called into action for the first time shortly before the half-hour mark, denying Jack Stobbs at the near post with his feet, but it would prove to be a rare Owls attempt.

The Trotters were awarded a second penalty shortly before the break following a good team, with Newell again stepping up to take the kick.

Sending goalkeeper Dawson the wrong way, the forward coolly slotted home into the bottom corner to double Wanderers' lead, giving the scores a convincing feel at the break.

Picking up where they left off following the restart, Tom Walker was unlucky not to extend the Whites' lead after running onto Thomas' cross-field pass following a swift Bolton counter-attack.

In space on the left after receiving possession, the winger burst forward into the area before drilling an effort narrowly wide of the far post with Samizadeh unable to connect in the centre.

Walker went close again soon after following a Trotters set-piece after combining with Alex Perry, only to fire wide of the near post after cutting inside from the opposing flank.

Continuing to create openings, Wanderers remained unable to find a way past Dawson to add to their lead as Thomas saw a 25-yard free-kick tipped away by the Owls' goalkeeper.

The forward was denied again moments later after connecting with Walker's low cross, only to see his shot on goal blocked by a Sheffield Wednesday defender.

Finding themselves under pressure late on, Campbell produced a fine save to keep out Matt Penney's free-kick before Caolan Lavery headed over when well-placed in the middle.

Campbell was called into action once more in stoppage-time, reacting well to block Lavery's close-range volley as Wanderers saw out the match to clinch a comfortable victory.



Bolton: Campbell, Spooner, Honeyball, Finney, Phillips, Perry, Thomas, Cvetko, Newell (Campbell-Young 80) , Samizadeh (Likoy-Elumba 66) , Walker.

Unused substitutes: Fitzsimons, Grant, Allen.

Development Squad match report sponsors: Bristol Street Motors
Read Time: 3 mins