Match Report : 13/08/2016

Report: AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Bolton Wanderers


Bolton Wanderers made it two Sky Bet League One victories on the spin after coming from behind to win at AFC Wimbledon at the Cherry Red Records Stadium.

Gary Madine cancelled out Andy Barcham’s early opener in front of a capacity home crowd in sunny south west London.

And Liam Trotter’s goal midway through the second period secured victory and with it ended Bolton’s long wait for three points on the road as 769 travelling fans finally went home happy.


Phil Parkinson opted to go with two out and out strikers from the off, with Madine and Proctor leading the line.

Andrew Taylor, who earlier in the week had put pen to paper on a season-long loan deal from Wigan, was on the bench alongside the returning Zach Clough.


In muggy playing conditions, it was the home side who started the better. Barcham fired an early warning shot narrowly over the crossbar following a clever chest pass from Dean Parrett.

Parrett himself went closer on ten minutes, collecting a ball with his back to goal before spinning and firing a stinging shot straight at Mark Howard.

Bolton’s first effort came from the right boot of Proctor, but his volleyed effort from the right channel cleared the stand packed to the brim with Wimbledon fans.

But Wimbledon were rewarded for their early pressure on 15 minutes.

Barcham curled home from just inside the area, after Jake Reeves’ attempted through ball had deflected through a ruck of players and into the wide man’s path.

Bolton did respond with a prolonged period of pressure and were back on level terms on 33 minutes.

Mark Davies superbly engineered space on the left side of the area. He slipped a clever pass into the feet of Madine, who after a clever feint lost his marker before striking a low shot under the body of the goalkeeper.

AFC Wimbledon continued to sit deep and invite Wanderers forward. Jay Spearing sent a low daisy-cutter inches wide from 25 yards before Jamie Proctor nodded wide following Dean Moxey’s cross, as the Trotters ended the half the better side.


The second half took a bit of time to liven up. 

Proctor dragged a shot wide after skipping around a defender in the right channel whilst up the other end Mark Howard was down well to gather Lyle Taylor’s low free kick.

Lewis Buxton’s influence down the right side grew as the game wore on, as the hosts struggled to track the full-back’s overlapping runs.

Clough was introduced in place of Mark Davies on the hour, as Bolton went in search of a second goal.

And a second goal duly arrived on 70 minutes. 

Proctor tricked his way to the byline and fizzed a dangerous ball across the face of goal. Trotter then arrived at the back post to smuggle the ball home and send the travelling Bolton fans into raptures.

The home side threw men forward late on. Barry Fuller escaped down the right byline and momentarily created confusion inside the Bolton area, but a combination of David Wheater and Moxey eventually hoofed the loose ball clear.

A flurry of Wimbledon corners followed late in the piece, but in end Wanderers stood strong to make it two from two in league combat this season.

Read Time: 3 mins