Preview: Bristol City v Bolton

Report: Bristol City 6-0 Bolton


Wanderers suffered a comprehensive defeat at the hands of Bristol City at Ashton Gate on Saturday afternoon.

Having fallen behind to two early goals, the Whites never managed to recover with the home side adding a further four efforts after the break to round off a comfortable victory for Lee Johnson's men.


Interim manager Jimmy Phillips made four changes to the side who started against Preston last time out, with David Wheater, Tom Walker, Kaiyne Woolery and Josh Vela all in from the off for Wanderers.


With Wanderers all in black, the game got underway but it was the home side who drew first blood in the third minute, with Paul Rachubka palming out Joe Bryan‘s initial effort, only for it to fall into the lap of Aaron Wilbraham who had the simple task of tapping home from a matter of yards out.

An early blow for the Whites, there were certainly signs of intent still amongst the Bolton team with Woolery’s mazy run from his own half eventually being brought to a halt inside deep inside the 18 yard box soon after.

Out of nowhere however, the hosts doubled their lead in the tenth minute as Lee Tomlin latched onto a pass down the right flank, powered into the penalty area and slotted home past the Bolton keeper despite the attention of Wheater and Holding.

Although visibly stunned, Phillips’ men looked to calm proceedings down with Woolery at the forefront of their forward play inside the opening quarter of an hour.

With 22 minutes gone, Wanderers were looking more menacing with Dean Moxey’s cut in and subsequent effort ricocheting out for a corner kick with Richard O’Donnell stranded.

The pressure continued from the Trotters, but City almost had a third as Peter Odemwingie stealing the ball away from Rachubka who had come to claim in the air, but the experienced frontman was unable to slot home as the angle grew tighter.

Odemwingie was again in the thick of the action on the half hour mark, whipping across what had seemed an impossible cross with Wilbraham unprepared to turn the ball home from a matter of yards out.

The hosts were left calling for a penalty with ten minutes of the half remaining as the latter went down in the box under the challenge of Holding, but referee Christopher Sarginson waved play on.

With the half time whistle nearing, the tempo of the game dropped considerably with Bristol attempting to stunt any potential Bolton attacks.

But despite Wanderers’ efforts, the deficit remained at two come the break.


With the one change at the break – Neil Danns replacing Davies – the game restarted with Bolton looking to make their mark from the outset.

Eager to reduce the deficit as quickly as possible, the Whites pushed forward in their numbers although the Robins were still looking dangerous on the counter.

And it was three just seven minutes into the second half, with Odemwingie bringing the ball down before slamming into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Despite another setback, Bolton kept fighting and looked set to pull one back five minutes later, only for Walker to fire his effort from a Madine pass-back over the bar.

Tensions were fraught, with Holding receiving a booking just after the hour mark for a rash challenge while Moxey was cautioned for a similar crime on Tomlin.

Wellington Silva was introduced into the fold with 25 minutes remaining, with the Brazilian replacing Walker as the visitors looked to reduce the deficit inside the closing stages.

City were standing firm however, with Wanderers’ attacking trio cutting frustrated figures as their efforts proved fruitless.

Danns did look set to pull a goal back with 18 minutes to go as Woolery slithered into the area and whipped a dangerous ball into the mix, only for a last ditch challenge to block his shot.

Lee Johnson’s side however proceeded to make it four with ten minutes remaining, with Scott Wagstaff turning the ball home at the near post from an Odemwingie cross.

Still plugging away, substitute Dobbie attempted to provide Wheater with the perfect cross as the defender stood unmarked a matter of yards from goal, but his effort was intercepted at the death.

A fifth came for the home side however with five minutes to go, with Jonathan Kodjia nodding home at the far post from another dangerous cross and it was six a minute later as Bryan poked the ball into the net from close range to wrap up a comprehensive victory for the Robins.

Read Time: 4 mins