U21s: Bolton 1-1 Coventry City

Chris Cvetko on scoresheet as young Whites draw with Sky Blues

Bolton Wanderers Under-21s drew with Coventry City in an even encounter on Monday night.

Facing off at The County Ground, Leyland, the young Whites took an early lead through Chris Cvetko's long-range effort.

George Newell later hit the post for Bolton, while George Thomas had a goal disallowed for Coventry before the break.

However, Aaron Phillips equalised for the Sky Blues after the interval with a long-range strike of his own as the game ended in stalemate.

Wanderers named a youthful side for their clash with Coventry City as only Chris Cvetko, Ross Fitzsimons and Nat Phillips retained their places from last week's victory over Nottingham Forest.

George Newell, Quade Taylor and Filip Twardzik were all handed starting berths, as did Under-18s quartet Luke Griffiths, Enock Likoy-Elumba, Alex Samizadeh and Callum Spooner.

Elsewhere Under-18s quintet Max Allen, Jordan Grant, Alex Honeyball, Danny McKenna and Jake Turner made up the substitutes' bench.

The visitors started brightly as Ross Fitzsimons was called into action inside the opening 60 seconds, diving low to keep out Ben Stevenson's low strike.

Captain Quade Taylor, operating in an unfamiliar midfield position, had Wanderers' first shot of the night after winning possession in the box, only to see his effort deflect kindly for goalkeeper Corey Addai.

Coventry went close again moments later as Bassala Sambou headed over from Devon Kelly-Evans' cross.

However, it was the young Whites who took the lead as Chris Cvetko rifled home first-time from the edge of the area after Callum Spooner's cross was headed clear.

Bolton were fortunate not to concede midway through the half as George Thomas fired over the crossbar from close-range after connecting with Kyle Spence's cutback.

The end-to-end nature of the half continued as Cvetko went close again for the Trotters, retaining possession in the middle of the park before firing narrowly over from distance.

George Newell came close to doubling Wanderers' lead late in the half after finding space in the box, only to see his strike from an acute angle hit the post on its way out of play.

Enock Likoy-Elumba was next to go close for the Whites, only to see his tame effort kept out by Addai.

At the other end, Fitzsimons produced a fine save to tip away Thomas' curling free-kick as Coventry finished the half strongly.

Thomas had the ball in the back of the net soon after, only for his well-placed effort to be disallowed for offside as Darragh Leahy was penalised on the goal-line.

There was still time in the half for Newell to test Addai once more, rising highest to connect with Spooner's cross at the far post.

But with no further action in what was an even first half, Bolton went in at the break a goal to the good.

With chances at a premium after the interval, Sambou volleyed wide for Coventry from Spence's cross in the half's first opening.

Both sides continued to battle away in the middle of the park with little reward at either end.

However, Coventry produced a moment of magic to equalise midway through the half as Aaron Phillips found the top corner with an unstoppable 30-yard strike.

Both sides exchanged chances late on as Filip Twardzik was unable to beat Addai from distance after bursting through midfield, while Thomas headed over from Phillips' cross into the box at the other end.

Substitute Danny McKenna almost won it for the Trotters in stoppage-time with a thunderous strike, only to see Addai get across to tip his effort over the bar.

And with the resulting corner coming to nothing, Wanderers' youngsters walked away with a deserved share of the spoils.


Bolton: Fitzsimons, Spooner, Garratt, Phillips, Twardzik, Taylor, Griffiths (Grant 58), Cvetko, Newell, Samizadeh (McKenna 58), Likoy-Elumba.

Unused substitutes: Allen, Turner, Honeyball.

Under-21s match report sponsors: Bristol Street Motors
Read Time: 4 mins