U23s: Liverpool 3-1 Bolton

George Newell on the scoresheet as young Whites are knocked out of the Lancashire Senior Cup.

Facing an experienced Liverpool side featuring four players boasting first team experience, the young Whites were defeated 3-1 by their Liverpool counterparts at Kirkby on Wednesday night.

During the opening minute, George Newell was inches away from giving David Lee’s side the lead, only to be denied by Kelleher.

Meanwhile at the other end, Toni Gomes was a whisker away from converting Sheyi Ojo’s driven low cross, however, his delivery evaded the Liverpool striker.

Bolton continued to push for the opening goal of the game, Kelleher saved well from Alex Perry’s first-time effort from the edge of the box.

Jake Turner was forced into his first save of the game, getting down low to deny Ojo’s left-footed strike after an intricate move involving Stewart and Wilson.

The Reds once again peppered Turner’s goal, after cutting in from the left, Connor Randall fired wide of the far post.

The breakthrough came for the home side with 29 minutes on the clock. Having been fouled inside the area by Cole Lonsdale, Wilson kept his cool to tuck away his penalty.

With 10 minutes left in the half, Tom Brewitt looked to have doubled Liverpool’s lead following a corner, however, Lonsdale was in the right place at the right time to clear off the line.

Minutes later George Newell controlled Lonsdale’s cross before turning his marker inside the box, his shot, however, was deflected and collected by Kelleher to ensure his side remained in front at the break.


Randall had the first chance of the second half, having cut in from the right his strike was collected calmly by Turner.

Meanwhile, at the other end, Jeff King’s curling free-kick flew narrowly over the crossbar.

Bolton were once again awarded a free-kick just outside of the box. Perry this time rolling the ball into the path of King, his driven effort ending wide of the post.

Turner was then tested twice in quick succession, first denying Wilson and then minutes later capitalising on a poor touch from M. Gomes, collecting at the striker's feet.

Unfortunately for Bolton, Liverpool doubled their lead on the 67th minute. Tom Brewitt converting following Wilson’s quickly taken free-kick.

To their credit, Bolton continued to create chances, both Samizadeh and Perry had their goalbound shots blocked in quick succession.

Wilson continued to create for the hosts and almost found the third goal of the game, the Welsh international’s shot flashing over Turner’s goal.

It was Wilson who put the game to bed on the 82nd minute, the winger converted his second penalty of the game after Turner was adjudged to have fouled Rhian Brewster.

Samizadeh continued to work hard up front, pestering Liverpool keeper Kelleher into a succession of hashed clearances, however, Wanderers failed to capitalise on them.

The hard work and persistence of Wanderers was rewarded with two minutes to go, George Newell finding the net from distance with his curling strike.


Bolton: Turner, Grant, Lonsdale, Honeyball, Lavelle, Spooner, Tanner, King, Newell, Perry, Earing.

Subs: Fearnley, Jaaskelainen, Brockbank, Samizadeh, Jones-Griffiths.

Liverpool: Kelleher, Whelan, Randall, N. Phillips. Brewitt, Stewart, Wilson, Virtue, T. Gomes, M. Gomes, Ojo.

Subs: Hart, Grabara, Brewster, Alves, K. Lewis.

Tweets by @OfficialBWFC
Read Time: 3 mins