Bolton Wanderers v Crystal Palace

Report: Bolton 0-0 Crystal Palace


Wanderers and Crystal Palace will go again in the third round of the Emirates FA Cup after a goalless draw at Macron Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Whites enjoyed plenty of opportunities against their top flight counterparts, with Josh Vela seeing a header crash against the woodwork amongst other chances for the home side.

Come full time however, it was all square with both teams in the hat for Monday's fourth round draw.


Wanderers made a handful of changes to the side who featured against Coventry City last time out, with Zach Clough, Lawrie Wilson and Tom Thorpe all starting for Phil Parkinson’s side.

Lee Chung-Yong meanwhile lined up against his former employers for the first time since departing Bolton two years ago.


There was a noisy cup atmosphere inside Macron Stadium early on in the tie, with both sets of fans making themselves heard from the off.

The visitors meanwhile were signalling their intent inside the early stages too, with Loic Remy – making his first appearance for the Eagles – seeing the offside flag raised against him on a handful of occasions.

Wanderers themselves were ready to cause problems however, and a mazy run into the box and consequent shot from James Henry ensuring that Julian Speroni was on his guard.

Henry was again in the thick of it soon after, with his piledriver from 20 yards stinging the palms of the Argentinian shot-stopper, whilst he also saw a header from eight yards narrowly float over the crossbar.

Gary Madine was next to try his luck with a header, but somehow his thunderous effort flew inches over the goalmouth.

Ben Alnwick was tested soon after meanwhile, with Remy’s drive being palmed away by the shot-stopper.

Wanderers were more than holding their own against their Premier League opponents, with the two-tier difference not even visible as the game reached its half our mark.

With 33 minutes on the clock, a rapid Palace counter attack looked set to open the scoring with Fraizer Campbell in acres of space, only to be pounced by a number of Bolton bodies, while Remy saw an effort smash against the post from distance.

Wanderers were still looking dangerous though on the break themselves, with some superb build-up play deserving more.

But come the half time whistle, the game was still goalless.


The visitors made one change at the break – with Yohan Cabaye replacing the ever-threatening Remy – and the clash got back underway at a drizzly Macron Stadium.

And it was Wanderers who came closest to breaking the deadlock inside the opening five minutes, with Henry’s side-footed effort from a tight angle flying agonisingly wide.

The winger – who re-joined the Whites on loan on Friday afternoon – also saw a thunderous 25 yard drive clear the crossbar by a matter of inches soon after.

Palace were looking shaky at the back, with those inside the stadium sensing that a goal couldn’t be far off.

It appeared to have arrived in the 64th minute too, with Henry finding Josh Vela, but the midfielder’s header crashed against the crossbar.

A glorious opportunity, it seemed to boost the Whites even more so and they continued their search for a winning goal.

Up the other end of the pitch meanwhile, substitute Cabaye saw his powerful drive blocked by Wilson with Alnwick seemingly beaten.

It was a superb cup tie with both sides going for the victory, while a double attacking substitution of Max Clayton and Jamie Proctor in place of Clough and Madine with 11 minutes to go only confirmed Bolton’s intent.

With the game in its final stages, Henry saw a shot deflected into the side netting, while Proctor headed straight at Speroni from the resulting corner.

Four minutes were indicated at the end of the 90 and it was all hands to the pump, but Bolton just couldn't find a winning goal and as a result, will head to Selhurst Park for a replay against the Eagles.


Read Time: 4 mins