U23s: Crewe Alexandra 2-2 Bolton

George Newell and Alex Samizadeh on the scoresheet for David Lee’s side in their first fixture of 2016.

Wanderers’ Under-23s started the year with a draw against Crewe Alexandra on Monday afternoon.

David Lee’s side took control of the game from the first whistle, retaining possession and carving out chances. 

It took just two minutes for the Whites to create their first chance of the game, Alex Perry's shot deflecting into the arms of Richards.

Bolton’s patience and quality soon shone through as the visitors took the lead in the 13th minute. Liam Trotter picked up the ball in midfield before playing a perfectly weighted pass into the path of George Newell. The striker’s finish was equal to that of the pass, finding the back of the net.

Wanderers' continued to assert their dominance, this time Chris Taylor finding Max Clayton at the back post. On his return to Crewe however, the winger couldn’t get enough power on his header to trouble the keeper.

With 32 minutes on the clock, Callum Spooner looked to have extended the lead. The right back tried his luck from 25-yards and had the Crewe shot stopper beaten, only to see his shot cannon off the post before being cleared by Crewe.


The second half started in the same fashion as the first, with Bolton in control. Alex Perry was again in the thick of it, his shot fizzed just over the crossbar.

Bolton’s dominance soon came to an end. Substitute Callum Saunders latched onto the end of a long ball before he stabbed home on 55 minutes to equalise.

With the home side in control, it appeared as if Newell had put the Whites back in front. King’s pinpoint cross found the goal scorer in the box only for his header to be clawed out of the top corner by the Crewe shot-stopper.

Crewe started to take control of proceedings, Saunders saw his effort rebound off the bar before Derik cleared off the line from Janes Yates’ follow-up.

On the 72nd minute, however, The Alex took the lead. Another long ball found Saunders who cut inside onto his right before cutting inside and firing beyond Turner for his second of the game.

Having replaced Max Clayton minutes earlier, Alex Samizadeh levelled the scoring in the 75th minute. The Iranian was gifted the ball by goalkeeper Richards before the substitute slotted home into an empty net.

The equaliser injected life into Wanderers’ as they looked to find a winner. Unfortunately, David Lee’s side were unable to find the net for the third time and shared the spoils with their counterparts. 


Speaking to bwfc.co.uk after the final whistle, Lee said; “Our first half performance was excellent, we dominated it and created a lot of good goal scoring chances. 

"I’m really happy for George Newell because we’ve worked a lot on his finishing and movement in training lately. He showed great technique with his goal, both with the run and the finish itself. 

"In the second half we dropped very deep and couldn’t get near the Crewe players, then when we had the ball we didn’t retain possession for long enough.

"I do think Crewe edge the second half and deserved both of their goals, but it was also encouraging to see us respond to going behind. 

"On another day George Newell’s header goes but the keeper has produced a spectacular save to deny him the winner. 

"The professionals all got 90 minutes and that’s important for them as they will be called upon by Phil Parkinson soon."

Bolton: Turner, Spooner, Moxey, Lavelle, Derik, Trotter, C. Taylor, Perry, Newell, King, Clayton (Samizadeh 73).

Subs not used: Aspinall, Honeyball, Tanner, Politic.

Tweets by @OfficialBWFC
Read Time: 3 mins