Report: Bolton Wanderers v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers suffered a heavy defeat against Wolverhampton Wanderers who went on to pick up the Sky Bet Championship crown.

Despite a promising start from the hosts, two goals in each half from the visitors consigned Phil Parkinson’s men to a 4-0 defeat.

Team News

The Wanderers manager made two changes from the side that drew 2-2 against Barnsley last week with Jon Flanagan and Will Buckley coming in for Mark Little and Reece Burke respectively.

First Half

Wolves earned a corner with their first attack after Diogo Silva’s shot deflected behind. The resulting kick went straight into the arms of Ben Alnwick though.

Former Wanderers loanee Benik Afobe latched onto a lay off moment later but skewed his shot well wide of goal.

The hosts earned a free kick over on the far side and Morais’ well struck free kick evaded everybody in the Wolves box to edge out for a goal kick. Darren Pratley appeared to be just inches away from getting a glancing header onto the ball.

Ameobi went on a dangerous run into the Wolves box before a defender managed to get a vital challenge in at the expense of a corner.

Shortly afterwards Morais managed to get in a powerful strike after latching on an Ameobi layoff but his effort went high and wide.

The game had a great tempo about it with both sides enjoying plenty of activity in each other’s penalty areas.

Mark Beevers got in the way of an Afobe strike after the frontman powered his way towards goal. The resulting corner came to nothing.

However, the visitors opened the scoring through Barry Douglas who latched onto a rebound from Alnwick who had parried an initial save.

Morais tried to catch John Ruddy off guard as he cottoned on to Buckley’s quick free kick but his header failed to trouble the Wolves ‘keeper.

Le Fondre was unfortunate not to be able to get enough power on to a volley as he received Robinson’s cross with his back to goal. The forward controlled the ball well and span around, but hit the ball straight at Ruddy.

Wolves’ goal didn’t seem to deter Wanderers and they were still keeping up the tempo.

Another Morais free-kick from wide caused problems for the visitors who should have been punished when Beevers rose to get his head to the ball. However, the big defender was unable to get his effort on target and the ball went out for a goal kick.

Silva had a chance with a bullet header but Alnwick was sharp to the danger and got both his hands to punch the ball away to safety.

The visitors got their second on the stroke of half time through Afobe who rounded a stranded Alnwick to fire into the unguarded net.

Second Half

No substitutions were made by either side during the interval but that didn’t prevent the visitors from getting their third with Silva prodding past Alnwick just seven minutes into the half.

Wheater received a caution when he halted a dangerous Wolves attack that resulted in a free kick for Neves, whose well struck drive just went over Alnwick’s bar.

Parkinson made his first change when he brought on Vela for Pratley after 58 minutes.

Wheater saw his header rebound off Ruddy as Wanderers pressed for a consolation goal that would help with goal difference come May.

Craig Noone replaced Will Buckley as Parkinson made another change.

However, Wolves picked up their fourth from the spot through Connor Coady after Karl Hnery felled Afobe in the box. The midfielder drilled the ball in straight down the middle to extend the visitors emphatic scoreline.

Wadnerers final change saw Clough come on for Le Fondre.

But come full time, the scoreline remained at 4-0.

Full Time

Read Time: 4 mins