Report: Burton Albion v Bolton Wanderers

Two first-half goals from Hope Akpan and Lucas Akins gave Burton Albion the maximum points against Bolton Wanderers at the Pirelli Stadium.

Wanderers had started brightly but were unable to make their early advantage count as Akpan put the hosts in front just before the half-hour mark.

Akins put the Brewers firmly in charge eight minutes later when he fired beyond Alnwick.

Wanderers had their keeper to thank for preventing their scoreline from being more emphatic after making a string of second-half saves as Wanderers strived in vain to get on the scoresheet.

Team News

Phil Parkinson made four changes from the side that lost to Wolves last weekend. In came Andrew Taylor, Dorian Dervite, Derik and Craig Noone at the expense of Antonee Robinson, David Wheater, Filipe Morais and Will Buckley – the four of whom were named among the substitutes.

First Half

Wanderers enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges with Sammy Ameobi controlling the ball well on the left flank before firing a low cross across the face of goal.

At the other end, Derik cleared a dangerous cross after John Brayford put in a dangerous cross on the overlap as Burton broke forward.

Ben Alnwick made the game’s first save after eight minutes when Hope Akpan’s drive from distance went straight into his arms.

Le Fondre was the beneficiary of a stunning long range cross field pass off Noone, but the frontman was unable to get his left-footed volley on target to trouble Stephen Bywater.

Henry flashed wide after some good build up play by the visitors who were starting to turn up the heat on their opponents.

But the hosts took the lead on 28 minutes through Akpan who powered his way through and fired beyond Alnwick into the top corner.

Akins nearly doubled the Brewers’ advantage when he powered a header towards goal only for Alnwick to make a low save at the expense of a corner.

Pratley had his name taken by the referee for a foul on Kyle McFadzean.

The hosts doubled their lead on 36 minutes through Akins who was the first to react to a goalmouth scramble and steer beyond Alnwick.

Sordell went close to adding a third for Albion as the half drew to a close.

Second Half

Parkinson made a double change during the break with Buckley and Morais on for Derik and Flanagan.

A volley from Buckley, after Wanderers had put Burton under pressure, deflected for a corner as the visitors strove to get themselves back into the game.

Morais’ free-kick went agonisingly wide after Le Fondre was felled.

At the other end, Alnwick pulled off a stunning save to keep out Liam Boyce whose thunderous volley was parried behind for a corner.

With twenty minutes of the game remaining, Parkinson made his final substitution of the afternoon when Wilbraham replaced Henry.

Alnwich and Taylor came to the rescue for Wanderers in quick succession to keep out Sordell and then Akins both at close range.

Murphy then blazed over from close range after being put through by Boyce.

Alnwick made another fantastic save to thwart Boyce who sprang the offside trap and charged towards goal only for the Wanderers shot stopper to get his hand on the effort.

Ultimately, Wanderers were unable to find a way past Stephen Bywater.

Full Time

Read Time: 3 mins