Report: Bolton Wanderers 2-2 Bristol City

In the club's first game at the newly-named University of Bolton Stadium, Wanderers drew 2-2 against Bristol City in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Whites had taken a two-goal lead through Will Buckley and Josh Magennis, but late goals from Andreas Weimann and Jamie Paterson ensured that the spoils were shared come full time.


One change for Phil Parkinson’s side came in the shape of Craig Noone, who came in for Sammy Ameobi in the starting XI.


Bristol City starter the brighter, with a Josh Brownhill free-kick not troubling the Bolton goal.

City came close again soon after, as Brownhill’s effort from distance flashed just past Ben Alnwick’s post.

David Wheater came into the game with a huge block of an Andreas Weimann’s effort, with the follow up from Brownhill flying wide.

Bristol continued to press, with Lloyd Kelly testing Alnwick’s hands, with a strike from distance leading to a save from Wanderers goalkeeper.

A Josh Vela corner found Mark Beevers on the six-yard line, whose header found goalkeeper Maenpaa’s hands.

City hit the woodwork on the half hour mark, with Niclas Eliasson’s free-kick smashing off the upright.


Bristol came out with a spring in their step straight after the restart, with Callum O’Dowda coming close within the first minute of the second half.

Wiemann came close shortly after that from the angle, with Alnwick tipping the strike just over the bar.

Eliasson went down in the area, with referee John Brooks judging the Swedish man to have dived.

Wanderers came close when Craig Noone flashed an effort across goal which went for a corner.

From the resulting Josh Vela set play, the ball found Will Buckley who flicked the ball just over the City goal line to give the Whites the lead.

On the hour mark, Josh Magennis doubled his tally after Olkowski put a driven ball into the area, where Magennis struck the ball low and hard into the City goal.

Bristol grabbed a goal in quick response, Marlon Pack playing a ball through to Weimann, finished it off for the visitors.

The Robins nearly levelled proceedings, with Jason Lowe hooking the ball away from an almost certain Paterson goal.

With ten minutes to go, Lee Johnson’s side found the equaliser. Jamie Paterson found space down the left hand side, and curled an effort in off the post to make honours even.

Second half substitute Adam Le Fondre came close to claiming all three points for Phil Parkinson’s side, with his shot going just off target.

Into injury time and the Robins nearly nicked it at the death, with Matty Taylor finding Mo Eisa in the box, who couldn’t find the Wanderers goal.


Wanderers: Alnwick, Olkowski, Wheater (C), Beevers, Taylor, Lowe, Noone, Vela, Buckley, Magennis, Murphy.

Subs: Williams, Little, Oztumer, Le Fondre, Hobbs, O’Neil, Wildschut

Read Time: 3 mins