Report: Bolton Wanderers U23s 2-1 Huddersfield Town U23s

Jack Earing scored with the last touch of the game to give Bolton Wanderers a deserved victory over Huddersfield Town on Monday evening.

The win extends David Lee’s side’s lead at the top of the Professional Development League table to three points, and their unbeaten run to 11 games.

Connor Hall’s 16th goal of the season gave Bolton the lead on six minutes, his header from six yards beating Huddersfield ‘keeper Rory Brown.

Huddersfield equalised on 33 minutes, Luca Colville heading in from a corner.

Bolton made six changes from their 2-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday, with Lee's men looking to extend their ten match unbeaten run.

Huddersfield’s team featured first teamers Dean Whitehead and Martin Cranie, both playing at centre back.

Bolton were the first to create a clear cut opening, Shakeel Jones-Griffiths winning a free kick just past halfway.

The ball was worked out wide to Luca Navarro, whose cross was powerfully headed home by Hall low to ‘keeper Rory Brown’s left to give Bolton an early lead.

Huddersfield looked to remain patient after going behind, keeping the ball well in midfield.

They created few chances early on however, Whitehead’s well blocked half volley just outside the box probably their best opening. 

More good work from Earing for the home side gave Cole Lonsdale room on the left hand side, his ball in found the head of Earing but his header was caught by Brown.

Huddersfield continued to see the majority of the ball, however, and equalised on 33 minutes.

The ball was whipped in from a corner and Luca Colville powerfully headed home from six yards past Turner.

Bolton responded well to conceding, a low cross from the right being fizzed across the face of goal but no Bolton player could get a touch on it. 

That chance proved to be the last one of the half, the two teams going in level at 1-1.


The second half started evenly, with both sides trying to work an opening.

Lonsdale had the first opportunity of the half on the edge of the box on 48 minutes but it was well blocked. 

Huddersfield’s Rekeil Pyke did well to beat several Bolton defenders and charge into the box from the left, his eventual cut back intercepted for a corner.

Jeff King created a good opportunity on 67 minutes for Bolton with a well timed through ball to Earing, but his low cross was claimed by Brown.

There was concern for Wanderers on 69 minutes when Joe Muscatt went down following a collision near the centre, but he was able to carry on following a stoppage in play.

Pyke’s pace was causing the Bolton defence problems, his surging run down the right and ball inside subsequently producing a shooting chance, but the shot from the edge of the box was easily caught by Turner.

Minutes later, Hall did well to create an opportunity for Bolton, shielding the ball well from a Huddersfield defender on the right side of the box before shooting powerfully, Brown able to make a comfortable save.

Bolton continued to put the pressure on, with Liam Morris finding himself in space on the right hand side.

His low cross in was met by Hall’s boot but the defender got a touch on the ball to divert it away from the Huddersfield goal.

Hall had another chance on 78 minutes, his excellent run through the middle giving him a shooting opportunity inside the box which was well parried by Brown over the crossbar.

Jeff King’s shot from 25 yards went narrowly over as Bolton began to look the more likely side to claim a winner.

And they reclaimed their lead at the death, Earing’s header from close range on 93 minutes sparking wild celebrations and ensuring another win for Lee’s side.

Bolton Wanderers: Turner, Morris, Muscatt, Edwards, Mitchell, Jones-Griffiths, Navarro, Earing, Hall, King, Lonsdale

Subs not used: Fearnley, Aspinall, Smith, Connell, Moulden

Huddersfield Town: Brown, Williams, O’Malley, Whitehead, Bexton, Cranie, Colville (Dyson 62'), O’Brien, Pyke, Daly (Booty 87), Tear (Obiero 71')

Subs not used: Crichlow-Noble, Mewitt

Read Time: 4 mins