Report: Guiseley 3-1 Bolton Wanderers

Guiseley ran out 3-1 winners at Nethermoor after goals from Alex Purver, Curtis Morrison and substitute Reece Thompson gave the Yorkshiremen a night to remember.

Although Wanderers were much improved in the second-half, a penalty from Thompson put paid to any hopes the visitors had of getting a result.

Phil Parkinson named a starting XI which blended experience with youth for Wanderers’ penultimate pre-season friendly against Vanarama National League outfit Guiseley.

Mark Little, Adam Le Fondre, Sammy Ameobi, Will Buckley, Stephen Darby joined new signing Pawel Olkowski and trialists Ben Williams, Jack Hobbs and Gary O’Neil alongside under 23s pair Joe Pritchard and Connor Hall.

An early chance for Wanderers came in the second minute when Hall skilfully danced past Flowers after latching on to Hobbs’ pass. The young Wanderers front man’s attempted curler went over Green’s bar though.

But it was the hosts who drew first blood after six minutes thanks to a lovely strike from Alex Purver. Olkowski lost possession which enabled the midfielder to pick his spot from 20 yards to give Williams no chance.

Hall was looking his usual determined self and created an opportunity for himself after bustling his way past his marker only to find his shot come to nothing.

Williams was pressed into action for the visitors after he cut out Cliff Moyo’s right-sided centre. With Kayode Odejayi in a dangerous position it was a vital save by the Wanderers’ keeper.

The home side doubled their lead after 22 minutes courtesy of Curtis Morrison who expertly converted Niall Heaton’s right sided cross.

Wanderers had a good chance to pull a goal back on the half hour mark after Buckley was felled just outside the box. Although Ameobi’s resulting free-kick was struck with pace and power it went straight into the grateful hands of Green.

Just a minute later and Green was forced into making a close range save with his feet after Hall got to captain Le Fondre’s whipped in cross before his marker.

As the half drew to a close, Ameobi tried his luck from distance with a low but powerful strike; however, Green wasn’t troubled as he got hold of the ball.

Parkinson made three changes at the break with Yanic Wildschut, Craig Noone and Mark Beevers on for Ameobi, Buckley and Olkowski.

Green kept out Hobbs’ looping header from Noone’s free-kick as the visitors sought to get back into the contest immediately after the restart.

Wanderers earned two quick corners in succession, which Guiseley struggled to deal with and on the second one Wildschut volleyed narrowly wide.

The introduction of Noone and Wildschut on both flanks looked encouraging early into the second period with both players looking to get crosses and shots in at regular intervals.

A free-kick from Noone was inches away from the head of Hobbs who was looking to be a big threat from set pieces.

Hobbs was close again with a diving header from Pritchard’s corner with the hosts struggling to clear the danger. In the aftermath, Beevers had a shot cleared off the line.

Hobbs made way for Wheater after 64 minutes as Parkinson made another change.

Hall’s perseverance paid off after 67 minutes when he latched onto a loose ball to stab home from close range. The chance presented itself when Noone’s in-swinging cross was glanced by Le Fondre with Green not being able to hold onto the ball.

Noone, whose introduction had helped swing the game into Wanderers favour, went close with a looping volley.

Another raft of substitutions from Wanderers saw the introduction of Taylor, Lowe, Vela, Oztumer and Donaldson come on for Little, O’Neil, Pritchard, Hall and Le Fondre.

Against the run of play, Guiseley were awarded a penalty which Reece Thompson fired past Williams after Vela upended one of the home side's trialists.

Right at the death, Wheater headed narrowly over from Noone’s cross.

Wanderers complete their pre-season friendly programme on Saturday when they travel to Peterborough United.

Read Time: 4 mins