Report: Wanderers U23s 2-0 Leeds United U23s

Bolton Wanderers U23s took all three points against Leeds United U23s on Monday evening, beating the West Yorkshire side 2-0 with goals coming from Dennis Politic and Stephen Duke-McKenna.

First Half

Wanderers started the game off in fine form, with midfielder Joe Pritchard coming close early on as his effort from the edge of the area flew just wide of the mark.

This was followed up by more exciting attacking play from David Lee’s men, as link up play between Pritchard and Luca Connell set away Stephen Duke-McKenna.

However, his ball over the top was just too far for the forward as Jamal Blackman mopped up the danger.

Pritchard was at it again for the Whites, as his set-piece fell to McKenna ten yards from goal.

The striker managed to get a firmly hit shot on goal but only found the post, as it cannoned away to safety for Leeds United.

Leeds began to come into the game on the half hour mark, with winger Joe Clarke sprinting down the right-hand side for Carlos Corberán’s side.

This was until midfielder Marcus Wood made the yards and cleared away the eventual ball into the box.

Only minutes later and Wanderers had the lead through Dennis Politic.

With some splendid passing between Pritchard and Jack Earing down Wanderers’ left side, ended with Earing driving the ball across Leeds’ goal to find Navarro.

The frontman faked a shot to mystify his defender, allowed for Politic to follow up and smash the ball into Blackman’s net.

Leeds tried to hit back soon after, with Sam Dalby finding himself in space inside the Whites’ box, but Wood was there once again to provide a magnificent sliding challenge to stop the impending threat.

Second Half

Right after the restart and the combination of McKenna and Pritchard were causing the Leeds’ backline havoc.

A quick one-two between the pair allowed the latter to be through one-on-one with Blackman.

He lifted the ball over the onrushing keeper, but his effort was perilously close to doubling Wanderers’ lead.

Leeds nearly came back into it just before the hour mark, as second half substitute Booby Kamwa provided a delicate flicked ball through for Jordan Stevens, however his first-time shot was always rising and missed the target comfortably.

The visitors certainly came out with a spring in their step, as Edmondson came close on two occasions, with the latter being sussed by a world class tackle inside the area from skipper Liam Edwards.

With fifteen minutes to go and Wanderers had doubled their lead.

Resulting from a crucial interception from Marcus Wood in the middle of the pitch, a through ball found Pritchard.

The attacking midfielder flew down the right flank, crossing the ball in for Stephen Duke-McKenna to slam into an empty goal.

Second half substitute Matthew Argent-Barnes nearly grabbed a goal for himself heading into stoppage time.

Nipping in from the left flank, he struck a curling effort from distance that left Blackman a mere spectator, only to be saved by the woodwork as the ball flew to safety.

There were no scares going into added time, as referee Barry Lamb blew the full-time whistle.

Wanderers XI: Williams, Muscatt, Earing, Edwards (C), Zouma, Wood, Politic, Connell, Duke-McKenna (Argent-Barnes 78), Pritchard, Navarro

Unused subs: Senior, James, Preston, Darcy

Read Time: 3 mins