Report: Bolton Wanderers vs. Ipswich Town

Wanderers were defeated 5-0 by Ipswich Town this afternoon in a Sky Bet League One clash at the University of Bolton Stadium.

First Half

It wasn’t until the 16 minute mark that Ipswich had the first chance of the game, with Vincent-Young drilling a ball across the face of goal, with neither James Norwood nor Kayden Jackson able to find the finishing touch.

Moments later, Jackson watched onto a through ball and from eight yards, produced a fantastic reaction save from Remi Matthews, who tipped the ball onto the post.

Ipswich were awarded a penalty, after the referee judged a Wanderers defender to have handled the ball.

James Norwood stepped up to dispatch the spot kick down the middle of the goal.

Alan Judge nearly made it two for the Tractor Boys on 27 minutes, but his effort from a dangerously placed free-kick went wide of the mark.

Ipswich’s main man up top Norwood broke through the line of defence again soon after, but a fantastic low save with his feet from Matthews deterred Paul Lambert’s men from increasing their lead.

A mistake from Joe White at the back allowed Norwood again to bear down on the Bolton goal, but like minutes prior, Remi Matthews rushed out to smother the effort and pounce on the follow up.

Following on from some immense pressure from Gwion Edwards, Norwood yet again spurs another chance over the bar from eight yards.

Callum King-Harmes nearly produces the first chance for Wanderers, as he jinks past Myles Kenlock in the box and pulls it back for a waiting Ronan Darcy.

However, an Ipswich Town defender rushes back to deny a shot on goal.

Second Half

The visitors started out strong again, with Jackson stinging the gloves of Matthews from close range minutes into the second period.

Ipswich doubled their lead through Edwards after Norwood’s original effort was valiantly saved by Matthews, but he could do nothing as the Welshman followed up to slot into the empty goal.

Two became three for Ipswich on the hour mark, with Edwards’ original shot hit the post. Which was followed up on the line from Kayden Jackson to fire home.

Just past the hour and the Tractor Boys had their fourth as Jackson broke through the lines of Wanderers defence and coolly placed the ball under Matthew for his second.

With 18 minutes left, Norwood grabbed his second and the visitors fifth, as he calmly placed the ball past Matthews into the bottom right corner of the goal.

Second half substitute Emyr Huws forced a smart save out of Matthews with ten minutes to go, his shot from distance went low to the right.

Following this, no real chances occurred and the visitors took the three points back to Portman Road.

Full Time

Bolton Wanderers: Matthews, Lowe, Murphy, Weir, Brockbank, Darcy, Zouma, Graham (Lockett 45), King-Harmes, White (Boon 67), Brown-Sterling (Brown 85).

Unused substitutes: Alexander, Senior, Richards, Riley.

Read Time: 3 mins