Report: Bolton Wanderers U23s 0-1 Millwall U23s

Bolton Wanderers Under 23’s were beaten 1-0 by Millwall Under 23’s on Friday afternoon in the Professional Development League, which see’s them stay at the foot of Group A on four points.

Millwall captain Jesse Debrah’s second half header was all that separated the two sides, in a game which The Lions dominated the main share of the possession.

The Whites were beaten 5-1 by Leeds United on their last time out, with David Lee’s side coming up against a Leeds outfit packed with first team talent.

Millwall are flying high in Group B and came into the tie following a 1-1 draw with top of the table Watford, putting them fourth in the table.

The first big chance of the game fell to Millwall, Sam Skeffington picking up the ball from 30 yards out and floating the ball over The Whites backline to Isaac Olaofe, who could only direct his header straight into the hands of Luke Hutchinson.

Millwall were causing Bolton problems early on with the long ball, Captain Jesse Debrah finding Harvey Bradbury three times in the opening quarter of an hour, with the towering striker unable to convert.

20 minutes in and Millwall were awarded a free kick in dangerous territory for The Whites, just outside the 18-yard box, D’Neal Richards late challenge on George Alexander earning him a yellow card.

The resulting kick was taken by Reuben Duncan who struck a low driven shot into the left corner of the goal, with Hutchinson managing to get his fingertips to it and tip it around the post.

Bolton’s first chance of the game came from DeMarlo Brown-Sterling, who expertly controlled the ball from a Millwall clearance, driving at the Lions defence before unleashing a left footed strike, which was saved by Frank Fielding.

Millwall dominated the remainder of the first half, corner after corner, long ball after long ball, each time seeking to find the target man Bradbury, with some last ditch defending and expert keeping from Hutchinson stopping an opener for Millwall.

Wanderers got their first corner of the game on the stroke of half time but couldn’t capitalise, Debrah clearing the ball to leave it all square going into half time.

The second half started in a similar vein, with Millwall controlling the early possession and having their first chance 10 minutes in, Junior Tiensia’s miss-hit cross was heading into the back of the net, Kwame Osigwe somehow heading it off the line.

70 minutes in and The Lions constant pressure finally paid off, Duncan whipped in a dangerous cross from the left-hand side of the box, which was met by the head of the skipper Debrah and into the back of the net. 1-0 Millwall.

Five minutes later and Bradbury spurned yet another big chance for Millwall, this time Olaofe the provider, crossing to the back post with the striker only able to direct his header straight at Hutchinson.

The Whites came so close to an equaliser late on, a floated pass from Joe White putting substitute Matthew Tweedley through on goal, who forced an excellent save from Fielding.

The visitors could have doubled their lead two minutes time, Olaofe made a mazy run down the right, cutting the ball back on the edge of the box to Duncan who struggled to make a clean connection with his shot, skewing it wide of the post. Full time and the game ending 1-0 to Millwall.

The young Wanderers are playing away to Hull in their next game on January 10 and will be looking to start the new year with a bang.

Read Time: 3 mins