Report: Bolton Wanderers U18s v Leicester City U18s

Bolton Wanderers' Under-18s exited the FA Youth Cup at the fifth round hurdle after a 3-0 defeat to Leicester City at the University of Bolton Stadium on Wednesday night.

The deadlock was broken with 32 minutes on the clock, with Sidnei Tavares' long-range effort taking a wicked deflection on its way into the net from all of 25 yards.

And the Foxes' advantage was doubled with 14 minutes remaining through substitute Dempsey Arnott-John whose 20-yard effort squeezed past goalkeeper Callum James and into the bottom corner of the net, before Terrell Pennant made it three on the stroke of full time with a calm finish from 18 yards.

First Half

Wanderers started brightly in the clash, and looked to have broken the deadline inside four minutes when Matthew Argent-Barnes' angled strike smashed against the far post, with Adam Senior unable to capitalise on the rebound.

And they came close again just a minute later as Eddie Brown found himself in a similar position to Argent-Barnes, but again was denied by the woodwork, much to the Foxes' relief.

The visitors responded in kind though, with Senior blocking Shane Flynn's strike from the edge of the box with eight minutes gone.

Both teams were flexing their muscles, and there was action at both ends as each side settled into the clash.

Darcy was proving himself a useful outlet for the Whites, with him making a mazy run to the byline inside 22 minutes, but his cross into the goalmouth was comfortably collected by City keeper Oliver Bosworth.

Callum James was then called upon to make his first save of the night as Luke Thomas whipped an out-swinging free-kick into the six-yard box, with Lukas Husek being denied by the rapid reactions of the Bolton keeper.

Just after the half hour mark however, Leicester had the lead in fortunate circumstances as Tavares' effort from 25 yards deflected its way past a stranded James.

Despite falling behind, Wanderers didn't let it deter them and set about levelling proceedings, with a period of pressure ensuring that City were on their toes defensively.

Leicester weren't for resting on their laurels though, with goalscorer Taveres making a nuisance of himself.

Come the break however, the scoreline remained at just the single goal in the visitors' favour.

Second Half

With no changes at the break, proceedings got back underway at the University of Bolton Stadium.

And right from the off, the home side were pushing in search of an equaliser.

Leicester's Luke Thomas meanwhile found himself alone on the byline with 51 minutes gone, but his shot was right down the throat of James.

Flynn then found Will Russ on the edge of the area, but the latter's effort rolled past James' right-hand post to the relief of the goalkeeper.

Taveres almost doubled his tally on the hour mark when cutting inside from the left, but his shot from 12 yards was comfortably dealt with.

Whilst James was attempting to clear the ball upfield, Russ impeded the goalkeeper, resulting in the first yellow card of the game.

Bolton looked certain to level moments later however as Darcy and Argent-Barnes combined to feed an advancing Callum King-Harmes, but the youngster was only able to turn the ball into the side netting from close range.

Ed Elewa Ikpakwu saw a header from six yards out palmed away by James after connecting with another Thomas free-kick into the mix.

As much as Wanderers were causing problems for the visitors, they themselves were making their mark in Bolton's third.

And they were rewarded with 14 minutes remaining as substitute Arlott-John squeezed a shot from just outside the 18-yard box into the bottom corner of the net.

The deficit was almost halved with eight minutes to go, as Bolton substitute Bradley Homles teed up an advancing Argent-Barnes who attempted to thwart the Leicester keeper by drilling high into the net, but the shot-stopper was alert to the danger and provided safe hands to deny him.

With the clock ticking down, frustrations were evident for the Whites as Jordan Boon received a booking for a foul just outside the area on Elewa Ikpakwu.

And Thomas' resulting free-kick was just wide of the near post.

With four minutes added on at the end of the 90, it was a case of last chance saloon for the Trotters as they attempted to force a grandstand finish, but their efforts were ultimately in vain as City made it three on the stroke of full time through Pennant who finished coolly from the edge of the box after collecting the ball inside Bolton's half.

Full Time

Bolton: James, Whalley (Riley 90'), White, Boon, Senior, Broughton, King-Harmes, Graham (Holmes 77'), Brown, Darcy, Argent-Barnes

Substitutes not used: Preston, Alexander, Brown-Sterling

Read Time: 4 mins