Report: Bristol City v Bolton Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers were knocked out of the FA Cup in the Fourth Round after falling to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Bristol City.

Team News

Phil Parkinson made five changes to his starting eleven that went up against West Bromwich Albion in the Sky Bet Championship.

Remi Matthews, Mark Little and Josh Magennis came in for Ben Alnwick, Andrew Taylor and Clayton Donaldson.

Furthermore, Luca Connell and Joe Pritchard came in for Gary O'Neil and Sammy Ameobi.

First Half

Wanderers went ahead on the sixth minute, as Luca Connell delivered a superb first time delivery into the area for defender Mark Beevers to calmly slot home.

However within three minutes, Callum O’Dowda equalised for the Robins, as a cross field ball found the Republic of Ireland international, who powerfully found the bottom left corner.

Shortly after and Eliasson put Chelsea loanee Kasey Palmer through on goal but was let down by his finish that sailed wide of the mark.

Joe Pritchard got on the ball with space to invade just short of the 20th minute, who found Magennis outside of the area.

The Northern Irishman fired at goal but a deflection took the sting out of the effort and nestled into Fielding’s hands.

Kasey Palmer was at the thick of things for Bristol City mere moments after, setting up Morrell who produced a full length diving save from Matthews in the Wanderers’ goal.

Lee Johnson’s men went ahead on the half hour mark, as Diedhiou found Eliasson on the right flank, who cut inside and curled his effort into the top left corner, leaving Matthews helpless.

It was nearly a third for the Robins almost immediately after, with Palmer trying to beat Matthews at his front post but the shot stopper was equal to it and held onto the shot.

Diedhiou went through on goal again, but the striker shot wide of the target from an acute angle.

Second Half

The Robins began the second period on the ascendancy, with a Dasilva getting on the end of an Eliasson cross, only for Wanderers to clear the danger.

City came forward ten minutes later, as he turns on the edge of the Wanderers box and tried to find the bottom left corner once again, but Matthews saved the initial strike before jumping on the ball at a second chance.

On the hour mark, Pritchard flicked it round an onrushing defender to Olkowski.

The Polish international made his way into the area from the by-line and forced a strong save out of Fielding.

A minute later and Olkowski crossed in dangerously for Magennis to get inches away from prodding the ball past the Robins goalkeeper.

Mark Little hung the ball out perfectly in the air in the next chance of the match, allowing for Jack Hobbs to rise in the air and head towards goal but the towering defender was unable to find the target.

The Chelsea loanee Palmer was creating havoc yet again, this time with a free-kick from 25 yards that rattled the frame of the goal with 20 minutes left in the cup tie.

With 13 minutes left on the clock, 17-year-old Connell fizzed a ball into the head of Magennis, who nodded his attempt low and hard into the floor, having Fielding scrambling to his left to save the near equaliser.

O’Dowda found himself in space down the right wing for City with seven minutes to go, where he cut inside past Beevers and shot just over the bar.

Wanderers continued to look threatening as the clock counted down, but were unable to get back into this clash.

Full Time

Wanderers XI: Matthews, Little, Lowe (C), Beevers, Noone, Hobbs, Murphy (O’Neil 76), Olkowski, Magennis, Pritchard (Ameobi 63), Connell (Donaldson 84).

Unused substitutes: B.Williams, Taylor, Oztumer, Buckley.

Read Time: 4 mins