Report: Carlisle United 3-3 Bolton Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers bounced back on Boxing Day to earn a point after going three goals behind at Carlisle United.

The hosts found themselves 3-0 up just after the half-hour mark but George Thomason gave Wanderers hope just before the break with a header.

Wanderers then battled back against a strong United outfit to earn a precious point thanks to further goals from Nathan Delfouneso and Peter Kioso.

Ian Evatt made two changes from the team that last to Tranmere Rovers a week earlier.

The fit again duo of Andrew Tutte and Peter Kioso came in for Lloyd Isgrove and Harry Brockbank who were named among the substitutes at a cold and blustery Brunton Park.

The hosts got off to a very bright start when they scored twice in the opening seven minutes.

Aaron Hayden put United in front, getting a decisive touch from a free-kick Wanderers were unable to clear.

The second came from another free-kick that Wanderers weren’t able to clear with Lewis Alessandra steering past Matt Gilks.

The Wanderers keeper had to dive at full stretch to tip away a wind-assisted Omari Patrick effort from distance to prevent matters from getting worse shortly afterwards.

Alessandra spurned the chance to put his side three-up when he pounced on a mistake from Ricardo Almeida Santos. The striker blazed over with the goal at his mercy.

The hosts survived a strong penalty shout after half an hour when Kioso appeared to be tripped in the Carlisle box by Jack Armer. Despite the vociferous protests from the Wanderers camp, the referee ignored the claims.

Patrick got the third of the afternoon when he guided the ball into the bottom left hand corner after Wanderers surrendered possession cheaply in their own area.

Wanderers pulled a goal back, just before the break through a George Thomason header.

Some dogged play by Doyle saw the ball break wide to Kioso whose crossed deflected into the path of the midfielder, who nodded into the roof of the goal.

Evatt made his first change during the break with Isgrove replacing Baptiste.

With the wind behind them in the second-half, Wanderers got off to a better start looking to get back into the contest.

Thomason appeared to get clipped in the box and it looked another solid shout for a penalty but again Wanderers protestations were waved away by the official.

Isgrove was having a positive impact on the right hand side with the wide man putting in some searching balls.

Antoni Sarcevic turned to create space for him to shoot from distance, but his effort lacked the accuracy to trouble Farman.

At the other end, Alessandra clipped the top of the cross bar from distance as the hosts made a rare foray into the Wanderers box.

With 15 minutes of the game remaining, Wanderers made their second change with Greenidge coming on for Delaney.

Delfouneso reduced the arrears further just seconds after Gilks made a stunning save with his feet to prevent Kayode from hitting his side’s fourth.

Sarcevic put in a lovely cross for the big striker to power home from close range.

Wanderers were back on terms less than a minute later. Kioso rose up unmarked to convert Tutte’s cross past Farman.

Thomason hit the foot of the post deep into injury time to almost pull off the impossible for Wanderers.

Kioso was shown a second yellow just before the end for what appeared to be an innocuous challenge and was promptly sent off.

Right at the death, Brockbank was brought on for Doyle as Wanderers defended a corner from which Mellish hit the foot of the post.



Carlisle United: Farman, Hayden, Bennett, McDonald, Armer, Guy, Riley, Mellish, Alessandra, Kayode, Patrick (Toure 77).

Unused Subs: Dewhurst, Charters, Bell, Dixon, Obiero, Reilly.

Goals: Hayden (5), Alessandra (7), Patrick (36).


Bolton Wanderers: Gilks, Baptiste (Isgrove 46), Almeida Santos, Delaney (Greenidge 76), Kioso, Jones, Tutte, Thomason, Sarcevic, Delfouneso, Doyle (Brockbank 90+6).

Unused Subs: Crellin, Comley, White, Crawford. 

Goals: Thomason (44), Delfouneso (86), Kioso (88). 

Read Time: 4 mins