Report: Bolton Wanderers U23s 1-2 Sheffield Wednesday U23s

Wanderers’ 23s suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday last night at the County Ground.

Despite Bolton taking the lead, Wednesday hit back and then sealed the comeback with an 81st minute winner from Conor Grant.

The young Trotters had earlier started well, a first shot on target coming in just the second minute when a Callum King-Harmes strike was well saved by Wednesday goalkeeper Wildsmith.

A tight first half saw chances for both sides, Wanderers’ James Weir firing over at one end before Trialist missed a guilt edge chance for The Owls at the other.

But it was Wanderers who took the lead just after the half-hour mark, when Connor Hall fired past Wildsmith.

Faal picked up the ball before playing in his strike partner with a fantastic pass before Hall took his chance superbly.

Wanderers used the momentum and played positively for the next ten minutes, creating regular chances.

A fine switch of play from skipper Harry Brockbank found Joe Bunney who cut it back to King-Harmes, only for the winger to fire just wide of the target.

Bolton may have thought they were going into half-time with the lead but that was cut back when Wednesdays’ Preston beat the Wanderers’ keeper Alexander to finish at the near post meaning it was 1-1 at the break.

Despite losing their lead, Bolton began the second half positively again.

Weir and Faal both missed chances within the first 10 minutes of the restart as Wanderers searched for a winner.

Joe White came on midway through the second half and it was his well-weighted cross that found Faal who missed the target at the near post.

After a quiet period, the game sprung back into life with just over 10 minutes to go when Bolton had yet another chance. Weir broke through on goal and shot from the edge of the area only to see his effort sail over the bar.

After dominating large portions of the game, it was perhaps cruel when Wednesday took the lead, Grant’s low finish went under Alexander to take The Owls into a 2-1 lead.

Bolton pressed and pressed for the final minutes, chances for Faal who shot wide before a great save from Wildsmith denied Brockbank at point-blank range.

Wanderers were unable to find an equaliser and despite an impressive performance, succumbed to a defeat against a young Wednesday side.

Wanderers travel to Crewe Alexandra next week at the Alexandra Park.

Read Time: 2 mins