Report: Bolton Wanderers vs. Burton Albion

Ten-men Bolton Wanderers were on the wrong end of a seven-goal scoreline as Burton Albion ran out 4-3 winners at the University of Bolton Stadium.

The hosts ran into an early two-goal lead after 11 minutes courtesy of strikes from Joe Dodoo and Daryl Murphy, but the Brewers found themselves in front just before the break after David Templeton and Lucas Akins (2) found the back of the net.

Wanderers found themselves with a mountain to climb after Luke Murphy was shown a second yellow card early into the second half.

Substitute Liam Boyce extended Burton’s lead before a strike from Wanderers substitute Dennis Politic set up a frantic finale.

Keith Hill made two changes from the side that drew to Shrewsbury Town on Sunday afternoon with Adam Chicksen and James Weir coming in for the injured Liam Bridcutt and the suspended Jason Lowe.

Wanderers found themselves a goal up within five minutes thanks to a brilliant strike from Dodoo, who rifled an unstoppable shot into the top corner from just inside the box after going on a superb run.

The hosts were on the front foot and almost extended their advantage just a couple of minutes later when Thibaud Verlinden cut in from the left to see a low drive from 20 yards out come back off the post after some excellent work by Dodoo.

That second goal came after 11 minutes through that man Daryl Murphy who hit his seventh goal of the campaign.

Luke Murphy picked out Dodoo with a raking pass and then his low centre was fired home from eight yards out by the big Irishman.

The visitors reduced the arrears just two minutes later when Templeton fired past Remi Matthews from distance.

Akins then made it 2-2 before the game had reached the half hour mark.

Luke Murphy picked up the first of his yellow cards shortly afterwards for a challenge on Templeton.

Chicksen sent an angled drive just over the bar after being teed up by Darly Murphy.

But a minute into time added on, Akins got his second and Burton’s third as he guided the ball beyond Matthews with a helping hand from the inside of the post.

Five minutes into the second half and for the second game in succession Wanderers were down to ten men when Luke Murphy was cautioned for the second time.

Wanderers thought they had equalised on 77 minutes when Weir’s shot was spilled by Kieran O’Hara and Politic turned the ball in only for it to be ruled out for offside.

But moments later the visitors increased their lead through substitute Boyce whose shot on the turn evaded Matthews.

Although Politic pulled a goal back for the hosts with a shot from distance, Wanderers weren’t able to get the equaliser ahead of full-time.

Read Time: 3 mins