2004/05 season: The Road to Europe - Stalemate September

Sam Allardyce’s Bolton Wanderers finished sixth in the Premier League and qualified for the UEFA Cup for the very first time in their history.bwfc.co.uk takes a look through the archives to look back on a memorable season at the then Reebok Stadium.


Wanderers bid au revoir to the mercurial Youri Djorkaeff later in the month when he joined neighbours Blackburn Rovers on a free transfer, while Senegalese star Khalilou Fadiga joined the Reebok ranks from Inter Milan.

With games against Manchester United and Arsenal in quick succession, the month appeared to be somewhat daunting…at least on paper!

Once again, Wanderers fans turned out in their numbers to cheer on their beloved Super Whites when they hosted the Red Devils with the Reebok Stadium bursting at the seams.

The hosts appeared to be heading for a stunning last gasp victory against their neighbours when veteran Les Ferdinand hit what appeared to be a late, late winner after capitalising on a defensive mix-up between Tim Howard and Mikael Silvestre. But a controversial equaliser just moments later, attributed to David Bellion, was allowed to stand even though the Frenchman appeared to use his arm to guide the ball home!

Nolan had earlier cancelled out Gabriel Heinze’s debut strike, heading past Howard after seeing his initial shot blocked by the American shot-stopper.

Wanderers were then on their travels for an early afternoon kick off against the Gunners at Highbury.

Goals from Radhi Jaidi and Henrik Pedersen cancelled out strikes from Thierry Henry and Robert Pires to pick up a memorable point in North London to maintain third spot in the Premier League.

A long journey to Huish Park for a League Cup tie against Yeovil Town was next on the cards. A much-changed Wanderers team had to wait until the final ten minutes of the game to pick up a victory against their lower league opponents with goals from Julio Cesar and Henrik Pedersen seeing Wanderers progress to the next round of the competition.

Returning to Premier League action against Birmingham City at St. Andrew's saw them end the month unbeaten as they were held to a 1-1 draw after Muzzy Izzet cancelled out Jaidi’s first half opener.

The defeat saw them drop a position in the league to a still lofty fourth spot.

Look out for PART 3 tomorrow!

Read Time: 2 mins