Report: Chester vs. Bolton Wanderers

Wanderers played out a goalless draw at the Deva Stadium, as Ian Evatt’s men finish their pre-season campaign unbeaten.

First Half

After a bit of a slow start, it was Wanderers who had the first chance as Jay Fitzmartin cut in from the left flank but his cross to Brandon Comley was headed away for a corner.

The resulting Ali Crawford corner found Fitzmartin again, who managed to get the ball under control and get a shot away, only for a Chester defender to get a block in.

The Whites continued to press forward, as Crawford threaded through George Thomason into the box, but out came goalkeeper Louis Gray to smother any chance of a shot on goal.

Next it was Dennis Politic into the thick of things on the half hour mark, as he found some space outside of the area, only for his eventual shot to sail over the bar.

Chester responded with a chance of their own soon after, as George Waring rose highest to a James Hardy free-kick, but his header flew wide of the target.

Up to this point Wanderers were in the ascendancy, however it was Chester who would get closest to opening the scoring, as Anthony Dudley was played through on goal but only managed to hit the post.

Half Time

Second Half

After the interval, it took just two minutes for Wanderers have their first opportunity of the half, as Max Conway found Crawford but his effort from 20 yards was held well by Gray.

The Seals replied with a chance of their own, as Declan Weeks tried to catch Matt Gilks off his line from some 45 yards, but his effort finished well wide of the target.

Ten minutes into the second period and James Hardy delivered a corner onto the head of Matt Williams, but the Chester man headed wide of the target.

Winger Politic was played in wonderfully by George Thomason minute prior to the hour mark, but his effort was blocked by former Wanderers man Danny Livesey.

The game had opened up more in the second half, as Declan Weeks latched onto a through ball but, with the angle against him, could only find the side netting of Gilks’ goal.

With 20 minutes remaining, Wanderers won the ball high up the pitch and Darcy managed to find Fitzmartin, but the youngsters looping first-time shot narrowly edged over the bar.

Chester nearly took the lead, as a Darren Stephenson shot, at the second attempt, was alertly saved by Gilks in the Wanderers’ goal.

With four minutes to go, midfielder Andrew Tutte found space 20 yards from goal, but his effort narrowly missed the mark.

Full Time

Read Time: 3 mins