FRIENDLY: Warrington Town v Wanderers B

Matty Grivosti scored on his return to Warrington as the B team ended their pre-season programme with a confidence-boosting result.

Grivosti joined the Whites from the Northern Premier League club earlier this summer.

And the teenager claimed his first goal in a Wanderers’ shirt as Matt Craddock’s side opened their account in the last of their warm-up games.

It’s been a demanding set of fixtures for the young squad which is being moulded ahead of a first season together in Central League and ‘friendly’ matches.

The trip to Warrington continued in the same vein with a highly competitive game.

Wanderers were unable to secure a first win as the Yellows twice equalised to cancel out Grivosti’s strike and a second from Lamine Toure on the stroke of half-time.

But a decent showing from Craddock’s side was a step forward in their preparations as they look forward to a first league game in a fortnight’s time.

Grivosti took just three minutes of his return to Cantiliver Park to make his mark.

A mis-cued clearance from goalkeeper Tony Thompson fell to the attacking midfielder just outside the penalty area.

And the 19-year-old showed great composure to take his time before picking out the bottom corner of the net with a tidy finish.

Wanderers’ lead last just 10 minutes as the lively Isaac Buckley-Ricketts – who started his career with Manchester City before tasting first-team action with Oxford United and Peterborough – raced onto a ball over the top to level.

But the Whites - with Nelson Khumbeni back to provide a steadying hand in midfield - responded well to enjoy plenty of the game against a side including a handful of players with EFL clubs on their CV.

Wanderers looked to move the ball on a dry surface and also competed well to continue to make chances.

Gez Sithole fed Finlay Lockett who delayed his shot to see an effort blocked and Conor Stanley also saw a shot charged down as he took aim.

But with the final kick of the first half Wanderers did regain the lead following a short corner.

Lockett capped a tidy 45 minutes’ work with a ball into the penalty area which Toure steered into the net with an effort Thompson let slip from his grasp.

Lockett made way for Conor Carty at the break and after Grivosti had tested Thompson, Carty robbed a defender but couldn’t pick out a team-mate in front of goal.

The Whites were seeing most of the ball but half-way through the second half Warrington equalised for a second time when Matthew Tweedley clipped the heels of Mitch Duggan and fellow substitute Sean Williams made it 2-2 from the penalty spot.

That triggered a spell of pressure from the home side and Luke Hutchinson had to save well from Mikey Howard.

But Wanderers ended strongly and a fine run from Max Conway lacked only the finish as the Whites almost grabbed a an injury-time winner.

Wanderers B: Hutchinson; Sackey, Senior, Toure, Conway; Khumbeni (Pettifer 62), Tweedley; Lockett (Carty HT), Stanley (Sharples 85), Grivosti; Sithole (Loureiro 79). Substitutes: Litherland, Halford, Tutte.

Warrington (starting): Thompson, Trialist, White, Gumbs, McDonald, Trialist, Putnam, Harris, Amis, Mols, Buckley-Ricketts. Substitutes: Howard, Duggan, Duffy, Hannigan, Dixon, Williams.

Attendance: 555

Read Time: 3 mins