REPORT: Huddersfield Town B 2-3 Wanderers B

Wanderers produced a fantastic performance on the road to edge a thrilling contest against Huddersfield Town at the Millers Oils High Performance Complex on Tuesday afternoon, with Lamine Toure’s second half header proving decisive after Town had fought back from two goals down to draw level.

Matt Craddock’s side set about their task right from the first whistle, putting the home side on the back foot and playing in an aggressive manner, and they took the lead after seven minutes. Lynford Sackey was in the right place at the right time to fire the ball past Michael Roxburgh from close range after the Town defence had failed to deal with Danny Jones’ low cross from the left-hand side.

It was almost two shortly afterwards with Sackey causing all sorts of problems down the right-hand side, and after the wing-back got the better of his man to deliver a low cross, it was met by Jones’ first-time shot, and it was an effort that went inches wide of the post.

The half was dominated by Wanderers, but Town still had a few opportunities to test Luke Hutchinson and Neo Eccleston connected with Ben Midgley’s corner at the far post to head over the bar, before Roxburgh had to be at his best down the other end to tip Jones’ fierce strike over the bar following a neat passage of play.

Just after the half-hour mark Wanderers extended their advantage in rather strange circumstances. Arran Pettifer delivered a corner to the near post, and even though it looked like one that would be routinely cleared by the Town defence, the ball somehow made its way past Charles Ondo on the near post and Roxburgh in goal. A second goal was probably a deserved one for the Whites.

Image removed.

The hosts had a mountain to climb in the second half but they got off to a dream start, pulling a goal back within 90 seconds of the restart. Jon Russell threaded a pass through to Ondo who beat the offside trap before rounding Hutchinson and sliding the ball into an empty net.

Matty Grivosti saw a glancing header go into the side netting before skewing a shot wide of the target moments later to let Huddersfield off the hook after Wanderers had done well to win the ball on the halfway line and spring a quick counter-attack.

Which side would score the next goal was anyone’s guess, but after Ondo saw a diving header go narrowly wide of the target, the home side equalised moments later. Aaron Rowe produced a powerful run towards the edge of the box, and he slid the ball through to Connor Shanks whose low cross eventually fell to Eccleston who scored from close range.

Parity lasted just five minutes though, with Wanderers managing to get their noses in front once again. Stood over the ball in a dangerous area of the field, Pettifer delivered a free-kick to the far post and Lamine Toure connected with a superb header that went across Roxburgh and into the far corner. An excellent header by the imposing defender who put in a solid display at the heart of the Whites’ defence.

Ben Midgley was presented with an opportunity to make it three each from the penalty spot with ten to go, but he opted for all-out power and the Town skipper saw his effort crash back off the bar. Skipper for the afternoon, Hutchinson had to be at his alert best in the latter stages to deny Russell, Michael Stone, and Rowe as Wanderers held on for a terrific victory and three Central League points to take them top of the table.


Huddersfield Town: Roxburgh, Eccleston, Adewoju, Iorpenda, O'Brien-Brady (Stone 76), Maroodza, Russell, Midgley, Shanks (Deru 76), Rowe, Ondo. 

Unused Subs: Mazfari, Ayina.

Goals: Ondo (47), Eccleston (67).


Wanderers: Hutchinson, Sackey, Halford, Toure, Conway, Sharples (Khumbeni 68), Tweedley, Pettifer, Jones (Sithole 61), Lockett, Grivosti (Brown 89).

Unused Subs: Litherland, Tutte.

Goals: Sackey (7), Pettifer (32), Toure (72).

Read Time: 4 mins