Report | Bristol Rovers 0 Wanderers 2

collins web

Wanderers produced a professional and workman-like performance, with goals from Aaron Collins and Aaron Morley, to secure a vital 2-0 victory at Bristol Rovers. 

Two goals at the start and end of the second half from Collins, returning to his former club, and Morley from the penalty spot, keeps the pressure on the top two in the fight for automatic promotion.

Wanderers headed into this fixture full of confidence following the 5-2 victory over Reading on Easter Monday, looking to push further forward in the fight for automatic promotion.

Ian Evatt made just one change to the starting side that took to the field at the Toughsheet, with Nathan Baxter returning to the team for the first time since the Barnsley home fixture at the start of February. 

Caleb Taylor, who also had been sidelined for a number of weeks after getting injured at Cambridge in mid-February, returned to the matchday squad on the bench. 

Backed by another sold out away end in Bristol, Wanderers took control of the game in the early moments and came close to forcing the opening goal in the first half.

George Thomason nearly found Jón Daði Böðvarsson at the far post with a teasing, whipped cross from the left-hand side, but the ball just evaded the Icelandic striker. 

Aaron Collins, returning to his former side for the first time after signing for Wanderers in January, was at the heart of the action in the opening half.

The Welsh striker broke into space and it looked to be opening up for the Whites down the right with Paris Maghoma looking for a pull back to apply the finish, but a vital block from James Connolly turned it behind for a corner with Maghoma waiting. 

Maghoma then took matters into his own hands and forced himself an opening after playing a nice one-two with Jack Iredale before letting fly from 25 yards, but it was never testing Jed Ward in the Bristol Rovers' goal. 

The Brentford loanee was starting to find his groove, and in typical Paris fashion split open the Rovers defence with a pass down the left allowing Nathanael Ogbeta to charge into space, but his cross looking for Böðvarsson was just behind him and the hosts cleared for a corner. 

Despite being the dominant side in the first half, Matt Taylor's men forced two decent saves out of the returning Baxter as the half wore on. 

First, Connor Taylor tried to beat the 'keeper at his near post with a low effort but Baxter did well to get down and turn behind.

The hosts, along with the eight-thousand strong crowd, were now up for the fight, and Antony Evans then tested Baxter with a stinging effort that was comfortably saved by the Wanderers keeper as the half ended goalless.

The second half started with the home side on the front foot, and Baxter was forced into a wonderful save inside the opening minute as Chris Martin's effort looked to be finding the bottom corner, but Baxter somehow got his hand to it at full stretch to claw the effort away from danger.

With the Whites' keeper called into action again from Luke Thomas and then Chris Martin inside the first five minutes of the second half, Wanderers had survived the early storm - and made it count through the returning man.

George Thomason did brilliantly to thread a pass through to find Collins, and the frontman produced a deft, chipped finish over the Rovers keeper to send the travelling support into madness and hand Wanderers a vital lead.

The goal gave Ian Evatt's side a platform, and the space opened up for Jón Daði Böðvarsson to strike from the angle with his left, but a vital touch took the effort wide with the ball travelling towards goal. 

Wanderers had further opportunities to extend their lead through two free-kicks on the edge of the hosts' penalty area, but efforts from Maghoma and Dempsey didn't trouble the Rovers' defence.

Matt Taylor's men threw on substitutions, including John Marquis as they looked to go direct and force an equaliser.

Evans came closest for the Gas with a low effort that flew wide of Baxter's goal, but despite eight minutes being added on and Rovers applying pressure, Wanderers found a way to seal victory from the penalty spot.

Cameron Jerome did brilliantly to head the ball past the Rovers defender and break into the penalty area, and Taylor was forced into a desperate challenge to bring Jerome down - with the referee pointing to the spot.

Morley picked up the ball and as cool as you like, sent Ward the wrong way to secure the points. 

Wanderers: Baxter (GK), Dacres-Cogley, Toal, Almeida Santos (Capt), Iredale, Ogbeta, Sheehan, Thomason, Maghoma, Collins, Böðvarsson

Subs: Coleman (GK), Forrester, Taylor, Williams, Morley, Dempsey, Jerome

Bristol Rovers: Ward (GK), Connolly, Wilson, Sinclair, Agueira, Thomas, Taylor, Martin, Brown, Evans (C), Conteh

Subs: Cox, Gordon, Hoole, Ward, Marquis, McCormick, Rossiter

Read Time: 4 mins