Report | Wanderers 0 Wigan 4

Randell Williams v Wigan

Bolton Wanderers were beaten on Saturday afternoon, with Wigan running out 4-0 winners at the Toughsheet Community Stadium. 

Ian Evatt made three changes - one enforced due to Dion Charles' suspension - to the side that beat Fleetwood Town in midweek, with Josh Sheehan, Aaron Morley and Dan Nlundulu coming into the side.  

It was a tight and tense affair in the opening stages, as both sides looked to gain the ascendency in the game in front of a raucous atmosphere.

But it was the visitors who struck from a set-play to open the scoring. Tom Pearce’s corner was able to bounce all the way through and found Charlie Wyke, who nodded home from close range.

Following the goal, Wanderers went in search of instantly levelling up the scores as Gethin Jones’ whipped cross looked to be heading into Victor Adeboyejo’s path, but Tickle in the Wigan goal made a vital intervention to deny the frontman.

Despite the pressure following the goal, Wigan doubled their advantage as Stephen Humphry capitalised on a rebound after Nathan Baxter had made a fine save to deny Callum Lang’s low effort initially.

With their tails up, Shaun Maloney’s side looked resolute in their defence but Wanderers tested Tickle on a couple of occasions through Dan Nlundulu.

First, Dacres-Cogley’s cross was turned goalwards by Nlundulu but the young keeper made a decent save to push away before getting down to save a low strike from the Wanderers forward just a couple of minutes later.

Victor Adeboyejo then flicked a Randell Williams cross towards the Wigan goal, but the header was comfortable – allowing Wigan to hit Wanderers for a third shortly after.

Lang’s initial effort was blocked, but again Humphrys was on hand to apply the finish and give the visitors a three-goal lead at the break.

Aaron Morley v Wigan

Wanderers made a change at half-time as Carlos Mendes Gomes replaced and Aaron Morley, and Ian Evatt's side looked brighter as they looked to reduce the deficit. 

Dacres-Cogley had a chance inside the opening two minutes of the second half as a deflected cross fell into his path inside the area, but he dragged his shot wide. 

With an hour gone, the score remained at 3-0 but Evatt's side were creating openings but lacking that final cutting edge. The closest they came was a header back across goal from Nlundulu, but Wigan scrambled to clear. 

With Wigan holding the advantage, they controlled the game in the closing stages to ensure they kept Wanderers out before adding a fourth with 15 minutes to go. 

Wyke received a ball, checked back onto his right and fired on goal, and despite Baxter getting a hand to the strike, couldn't keep it out. 

Wanderers: Baxter, Jones (Forrester), Iredale (Jerome), Santos (C), Sheehan (Maghoma), Nlundulu, Dacres-Cogley, Adeboyejo (Jerome), Morley (Mendes Gomes), Dempsey, Williams. 

Subs: Thomason, Ashworth.

Wigan: Tickle, Clare, Hughes, Watts, Pearce, M Smith, Adeeko, Humphrys, McManaman, Lang (C), Wyke

Subs: Amos, Morrison, S Smith, Balagizi, Jones, Sze, Magennis

Read Time: 3 mins